Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss Care
Weight loss can be the first step on a wonderful new path. At UnityPoint Health – Grinnell, we help you start a successful journey with options like weight loss surgery and medical weight loss.
When you come to us for support to lose weight, you'll find a personal touch and the latest technology. You can feel comfortable with our care, knowing that we hold national accreditations for our excellent quality.
Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss Care at UnityPoint Health – Grinnell
At UnityPoint Health - Grinnell, we work to find a weight loss solution that fits your life. One solution is medical weight loss, where a care team helps you make diet, fitness and lifestyle changes. You may have metabolic testing, and your doctor often monitors other aspects of your health.
Your doctor may recommend a bariatric surgery procedure, an operation that changes your digestive system to help you lose weight. Gastric sleeve and lap bands are types of bariatric surgery. Whatever your choice, you'll find:
- High-quality surgery: We're one of only a few rural hospitals designated as a bariatric comprehensive center. We also received the highly respected Blue Distinction designation.
- Experienced surgeons: The board-certified doctors at Surgical Associates are members of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. They have performed more than 2,000 weight loss procedures and have years of experience in handling complex medical issues.
- Personalized care: Your care team gets to know you and your life goals. We aim to make you feel comfortable asking questions as you move through your journey.
- Surgical options: Our doctors offer proven bariatric surgery procedures, including sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. They also perform gastric bypass revision. They'll help you decide which procedure is best for you.
- Minimally invasive procedures: We provide weight loss surgery options that lessen pain and ease recovery, including robotic surgery and laparoscopic procedures.
Bariatric surgery quality distinctions at Grinnell
Our commitment to high-quality care shows in the distinctions we've received from bariatric surgery quality organizations. Our quality designations include:
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) Bariatric Comprehensive Center: We've received this designation since 2006. It demonstrates the high quality of our hospital, staff and procedures.
- Wellmark Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® with a Blue Distinction® Center+ for Bariatric Surgery: This designation means we have good outcomes for overall patient safety and bariatric procedures.
Personalized bariatric surgery and weight loss care
Starting with your first appointment, we care for you as a person, not a number. You'll find:
- Individualized support: We get to know your weight loss history and goals. We stay with you through preparation, surgery and recovery. And our support group is available as long as you need it.
- Dedicated care team: You'll meet your bariatric center care team members regularly. The team includes your surgeons, physician assistant and licensed social worker. Read about how our team helps you prepare for surgery.
- Specially trained staff: Everyone from the surgeon's office to the surgery center has special training in bariatric surgery. We understand your challenges and are here to help you through them.
Start Your Weight Loss Journey Now
Take the first step. Fill out our contact form or schedule an appointment or consultation by calling (641) 236-4323.
You can learn more about our bariatric surgery support group by viewing the class details or calling (641) 236-2598.