Cancer Support Services
At Norma Schmoker Cancer Center, you won't be alone on your cancer journey. Our cancer support services can help you with many different needs throughout your treatment.
We understand cancer can be scary, confusing and stressful. We're here to help you through treatment and on your road to recovery.
Care Coordination to Help You Through Treatment
There are many phases of cancer care, from diagnosis to treatment and follow-up during recovery. Throughout your journey, our care coordination team will act as an advocate for your best interests.
Care coordination provides comprehensive services and support for cancer patients and their families. Our care coordination team:
- Arranges any necessary cancer support services
- Helps manage appointments for treatment and services
- Helps you transition between one phase of care to the next
- Improves communication with the healthcare team
- Offers confidential counseling and assistance with financial matters if you need it
Cancer Support Services at Norma Schmoker Cancer Center
At Norma Schmoker Cancer Center, cancer support helps during and after treatment. Our compassionate staff can help you on your way to recovery. Additional cancer support services we offer include:
- Home health care/hospice: UnityPoint at Home and UnityPoint Hospice assist families caring for cancer patients at home. These services focus on quality of life, pain relief and symptom management.
- Nutritional services: Trinity dietitians work with you to provide nutritional counseling and dietary planning to meet your needs. To schedule a consultation with a Trinity dietitian, call the Cancer Center at (515) 574-8302.
- Palliative care: For serious, ongoing illnesses, palliative care addresses physical, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual issues. The team of doctors, registered nurses, social workers and chaplains provides the best care possible.
- Pastoral care: Chaplains in our Pastoral Care program have trained to serve patients and families of all denominations and faiths. If you feel anxious or face difficult decisions, chaplains can confidentially minister to you, your family and friends. To request a chaplain, please ask your nurse or health care provider to contact Pastoral Care or call (515) 574-6429.
- Wound, ostomy, and continence nursing services: Trinity wound, ostomy, and continence nurses are certified to care for cancer patients with fecal and urinary ostomies, diversions, wounds, fistulas, pressure sores and incontinence.
Cancer Rehabilitation Services at Norma Schmoker Cancer Center
As part of our cancer support services, rehabilitation plays an important role. As you recover from treatment, you may have rehab to help you get stronger and get back to your day-to-day activities.
Rehabilitation services may include:
- Lymphedema services: Specially trained occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants provide lymphedema support. Support may include patient education, exercise programs and manual therapy to help the lymphatic system work better.
- Rehabilitation services: Trinity rehabilitation professionals provide direct care to cancer patients. Physical and occupational therapists can help relieve pain, strengthen muscles, improve balance and help you perform daily tasks. Our rehabilitation staff works closely with your medical and nursing providers to deliver the physical and occupational therapy and lymphedema management you need.
To schedule an appointment with a Norma Schmoker Cancer Center provider, call us today at (515) 574-8302.