The oncology navigation teams at UnityPoint Health locations are staffed by oncology certified staff who have an understanding of the technical aspects of cancer and the emotional aspects of the journey. The oncology nurses navigate patients through treatment side effects, while assisting with any emotional or financial needs.
Together with members of the multidisciplinary care team, the oncology navigation team helps bridge and connect patients and their families with resources within the cancer center and in the community as a whole. Their goal is to educate and support patients and families throughout the cancer journey.
What is Oncology Navigation?
Oncology (cancer) navigation refers to the individualized assistance offered to our patients, families, and caregivers by a knowledgeable registered nurse (RN). This role helps to assist you through the complex system of health care so that you can focus on your care and needs. The program pairs you with one of our oncology nurse navigators who will be your consistent point of contact throughout your diagnosis, treatment, and onto survivor-ship. The navigator will remain in regular contact with you throughout the entire experience. Availability of oncology navigation may vary by location.
- The navigator is an experienced and compassionate nurse available to patients.
- Provides education and assistance in helping patients and families understand the cancer diagnosis and treatment plan while watching closely for any issues that may arise.
- Acts as the consistent point of contact throughout diagnosis, treatment and onto survivor-ship.
- Serves, in part, as a care coordinator, educator, counselor for patients and families understanding that each patient's needs are highly individualized.
- Improves patient outcomes through support, education, monitoring and early intervention regarding any of the patient's needs. These needs might include practical needs such as transportation, wigs/scarves, and support groups, coping with lifestyle changes, financial, emotional or insurance concerns.
Contact a cancer care location below to learn what oncology navigation services may be available near you.