National Child Passenger Safety Certification Training Program
The National Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Training Program is a partnership between three organizations: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations (NHTSA), The National Child Passenger Safety Board (NCPSB), and Safe Kids Worldwide.
The training program's goals are to:
1. Certify you as a CPS Technician.
2. Provide you with the opportunity to apply basic technical skills and knowledge to the correct. installation and use of car seats, booster seats and seat belts.
3. Equip you to educate caregivers in the proper selection, installation and use of car seats and booster seats and to know when to move to seat belts once booster seats are outgrown.
4. Equip you to educate caregivers so they can confidently install and reinstall car seats and booster seats.
5. Enable you to be a resource in your community.
The training program's completion requirements are:
1. Attend the entire training (courses range from 3-4 days). No exceptions.
2. Participate in class discussions and practice activities.
3. Pass three written quizzes with a total of 42/50 correct.
4. Pass three skill assessments.
5. Participate in the end-of-class car seat checkup event.
Iowa's Certification Fee:
Your certification fee of $95.00 is paid for through generous funding provided by the Iowa Governor's Traffic Safety Bureau. In the event that you are unsuccessful in passing the course, any future course registration fees will be your responsibility. An expired CPS Technician wishing to retake the certification course is also responsible for their own $95.00 certification fee.
How to register for a course in Iowa:
1. Complete the Interest List Form. Completing this form will not register you for a training. After submitting your Interest List Form, your name is placed on the interest list and you will receive an e-mail notification when you are eligible for a seat in an upcoming training.
Please note: The state of Iowa's Child Passenger Safety Program hosts a minimum of four (4) CPS Certification Courses each Fiscal Year (October - September). Our program follows a strategic process for sending course invitations and it may take several months to receive a course invite. Please understand that we put in a substantial amount of resources including time, money and manpower to facilitate CPS Courses in Iowa. If you and/or your employer cannot commit to the training and recertification requirements, please do not proceed.
A rigorous recertification cycle for CPS Technicians is in place. You must recertify every two (2) years. To retain your certification, you MUST meet all of the requirements and successfully complete the recertification process. Requirements are listed below and more information can be found at www.cert.safekids.org.
1. Demonstrate technical and communication skills during five (5) seat checks in the presence of a CPS Instructor. You may need to travel to car seat checkup events around the state for this step!
2. Complete at least six (6) hours of CPS technical containing education units which may include approved sessions, workshops, teleconferences, reviews journal articles, etc.
3. Participate in at least one (1) CPS community education event. This could include: a two-hour car seat check; proving at least four (4) hours of community education to non-CPS techs; or attend a one-hour (minimum) education session, live or online.
4. Register and pay for recertification.
Additional Important Information:
With funding being provided by the Iowa Governor's Traffic Safety Bureau, candidates are asked to post their contact information on the NHTSA website so that they may be a resource for those in their communities. The candidate should post the address and phone number of where they wish to be contacted. This step will be completed during your certification course.
An interested individual's name will be removed from the interest list after receiving four class invitations, and no attempt at course registration.
Questions should be directed to the State CPS Coordinator, Janna Day, at 515-241-3262 or email@example.com.