Concussion Management and Treatment
The Concussion Center's interdisciplinary team uses a collaborative approach to concussion management. We offer a variety of state-of-the-art evaluation protocols and tests because there is no one best test for diagnosing a concussion. Each concussion is unique, and the specific symptoms experienced demand an individualized approach to evaluating and treating each person's injury.
Unique Facility Designed for Concussion Treatment
- Adjustable lighting to ease suffering or increased concussion symptoms experienced with bright lights
Adjustable white noise to help with sensitivity due to concussion symptoms
Black-out shades for patient rooms to reduce sun glare that can aggravate symptoms
- Magnetic wall for adjusting visual tracking targets
- Video wall to mimic life encounters our patients will experience when recovering
- Force plate to assess balance of concussed patients
- Fit lights for vision tracking and agility training
Our concussion program uses industry-leading technology to assess and treat patients of all ages recovering from concussions.
Dynavision, the leading visual-motor training device for concussion management, is used by our specially trained physical therapists to provide vestibular-ocular testing and rehabilitation. Dynavision tests the body's vision and balance systems and how they impact decision-making and concentration under stress as recovery progresses.
Alpha-Stim Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) as adjunctive treatment of headache and stress response.
The Sport Concussion Assessment Tool (SCAT-5) evaluates an athlete's balance, coordination, cognition, symptoms and progress toward recovery.
Auricular acupuncture as adjunctive treatment of headache and stress response.
At your initial appointment, you will be seen by our sports medicine physician or by our sports. They will assess your balance, coordination, vision and neurocognitive functioning.
Physical Exam: Evaluation for physical signs of injury, such as neck pain, strain, as well as:
- Vision and eye-tracking/coordination
- Balance and coordination
- Attention Span
Following your evaluation, our multidisciplinary team will work collaboratively to develop an individualized treatment plan for your recovery, including a return-to-learn and return-to-play care plan. This may include coordinated referrals to other specialists either in our clinic and/or in our network as needed.
Just as every patient and injury is unique, the treatment plan needs to be tailored to the individual symptoms and needs of each patient. During recovery, it is important to know that many people have a range of symptoms that affect them in different ways. Some symptoms may appear right away, while others may not be noticed for hours or even days after the injury. You may not realize you have problems until you try to do your usual activities again, which is why our treatment plan includes routine follow-up and care coordination with schools and teams, in addition to referrals as needed in order to expedite recovery.
View our Concussion Recovery Roadmap.
Services Offered After a Diagnosed Concussion
- Comprehensive physical, and musculoskeletal evaluation by multidisciplinary team
- Ongoing medical follow-up
- Speech and language therapy
Vestibular and physical therapy
- Personalized care plans for return-to-learn, work or play
- Advanced neurovestibular, cervical, oculomotor and exertional rehabilitation
- Treatment of headache and stress response
- Daily living activity rehabilitation
- Management of pain, sleep disruption and insomnia
- Facilitation of return to work, school and sport
- Pre-season, baseline concussion testing using a variety of methods including C3Logix, Sway, and VOMS for youth, collegiate, and professional athletes