Shawn Spooner, MD
- Convenient Care
- Sports Medicine
- Urgent Care
- Walk-In Clinic
Accepting New Patients
- Gender: Male
- Sun: Closed
- Mon: 7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Tue: 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Wed: 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Thu: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Fri - Sat: Closed
About Shawn Spooner, MD
Dr. Spooner received his BS from Iowa State University and his medical degree from the University of Iowa College of Medicine. He completed a Family Medicine Residency at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton in California where he was Chief Resident. He subsequently completed a Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.
After completing training, Dr. Spooner was deployed to South Korea where he served as Senior Medical Officer and Officer in Charge of a naval health care facility. Dr. Spooner's extensive experience in concussion management stems from his deployment to Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan where he served as Senior Medical Officer of the Concussion Restoration Care Center, a rehabilitation center for treating combat-related concussions and injuries. In addition, he practiced operational military and sports medicine with the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Special Forces.
As a sports medicine physician and veteran of the U.S. Navy, Dr. Spooner has unparalleled experience in concussion rehabilitation and treatment. Here are some additional career highlights for Dr. Spooner:
- Experience in performance medicine. Dr. Spooner currently provides his services to many Des Moines area sports teams including Chow's Gymnastics & Dance, ADM High School, Grandview University and the Des Moines Buccaneers.
- Research interests include injury risk prediction and prevention, post-concussion care and recovery. Has studied and published work on post-concussion recovery, balance screening and the effect of exercise on the human immune systems response to illness.
- Certified to administer the formal Functional Movement Screen (FMS), an injury risk prediction tool. Works with athletes and active individuals to prevent injury through proactive corrective exercise.
- Administers the FUSIONETICS athlete performance system, a program designed to prevent injury, enhance recovery and maximize performance.
- Is a certified/licensed level III US Cycling Coach.