To help protect our community, patients and staff during COVID-19, UnityPoint Health – Trinity is offering Cooking with Heart for Cancer virtually and in-person.
Cooking with Heart for Cancer
Join UnityPoint Health – Trinity's expert dietitians for a series of cooking classes designed with cancer prevention in mind. Cooking with Heart for Cancer is an interactive, hands-on experience relaying the components of a flavorful cancer prevention eating pattern. The class is offered for four weeks at no charge and is targeted to those who have been touched by cancer: survivors, care givers and loved ones. The dishes prepared emphasize how nutrition can help reduce the risk of cancer or cancer recurrence, through inclusion of foods and in their most powerful form (raw, cooked, and in combination with other foods).
Register For A Class Today
Thank you to the Trinity Foundation and Gilda's Club of the Quad Cities for supporting these
classes so they are available at no cost to the community.
About the Series
Participants will learn eight or more delicious dishes and the steps to prepare them, including how to store and select the ingredients for the best quality.
By the end of the series, participants will have several new dishes and foods to work into their regular eating pattern for an optimal cancer prevention eating style.
Each class is an hour long with two dishes demonstrated (and one delicious dish taking less than 15 minutes to prepare).
The classes are meant to take into consideration limited financial means, limited time to prepare foods and little to no experience in the kitchen cooking.
- Class 1: Cancer Myth-busting and Truths (sugar, alkaline, green tea, turmeric)
- Class 2: Treasures in Eating the Rainbow (Or Eating the Rainbows Hidden Treasures)
- Class 3: Eating Made Uncomplicated: Fun and Easy Meal Planning
- Class 4: Boost the Power of Food on Your Plate
Each Class Includes:
- Nutrition information - brief introduction of nutrition information integrated into the cooking demonstrations
- Two dishes demonstrated with lots of engaging conversation
- One dish is an easy dish that can be done in 15 minutes or less OR a one pot type meal that can be done in the instant pot or slow cooker to make it easy to put together
- Second dish will be a delicious dish that highlights the topic of the day
- Recipes for the dishes
- Handouts to compliment the nutritional messages
- Comprehensive Resource Binder with handouts and recipes