At Norma Schmoker Cancer Center, we understand how difficult a cancer diagnosis can be. Our experts put compassion to work when it comes to diagnosing and treating cancer.
You're not just a patient here. We go above and beyond to make you feel as if you're part of our family. Our warm and friendly providers help you feel comfortable, and they are with you every step of the way.
Cancer Diagnosis: Why Choose Norma Schmoker Cancer Center?
When it comes to diagnosing cancer, compassion matters. Our team will carefully explain cancer tests to you and answer your questions. And our cancer support options and cancer resources can help you understand the diagnosis.
UnityPoint Health experts use the latest in cancer tests and technology to evaluate cancer cells. Some of the tests we commonly use to diagnose cancer at the Norma Schmoker Cancer Center include:
- Breast biopsy: A doctor takes a sample of a breast tumor using X-ray to guide the needle.
- Diagnostic imaging: We may use ultrasound, traditional and 3D mammography, MRI or combination CT/PET scans to see cancer in your body.
- Ultrasound: An ultrasound uses sound waves to create an image of structures in the body.
- Mammography: Traditional mammography uses an X-ray to create a two-dimensional image while 3D mammography uses multiple X-rays to create a three-dimensional image.
- MRI: Magnetic resonance imaging uses magnets and radio waves to create highly detailed images of structures in your body.
- CT scan: Computed tomography scans use X-rays and computers to create detailed images of organs and tissues in your body.
- PET scan: Positron emission tomography scans use a special dye to find unusual activity in your body and detect changes early. PET and CT scans may be performed at the same time to help find cancer in the body.
- Nuclear medicine: Some imaging techniques use a very small amount of a radioactive dye to enhance images of internal body structures and cancer cells or tumors.
We use multiple methods to treat patients with cancer. And as part of a larger health system, we have access to other diagnostic tests to determine the best treatment plan for you.
On-site pathology services
Our laboratory offers a full range of tests for patients with cancer. In some cases, our on-site pathology services can help diagnose cancer.
Specially trained doctors in our lab (pathologists) help diagnose cancer by examining and interpreting samples taken from:
- Bone marrow
- Tumors and soft tissue
To schedule an appointment with a Norma Schmoker Cancer Center provider, call us today at (515) 574-8302.