Prostate Cancer Care at Finley
Affecting men of all ages, prostate cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer that impact men over the age of 60. When a diagnosis is found, the Wendt Regional Cancer Center offers our patients of the tri-state area a comprehensive care plan that may include external beam radiation therapy. Finley does offer the robotic prostatectomy for our prostate cancer patients as well.
Early Detection of Prostate Cancer
Sometimes difficult to detect, knowing your risk factors such as age, diet and overall health, can make a big difference when it comes to early detection and treatment of prostate cancer.
Treating Prostate Cancer
If you find out you have cancer, you should discuss your treatment options with a radiation oncologist, a cancer doctor who specializes in treating the disease with radiation therapy, and a urologist, a surgeon who specializes in the genitourinary system. Prostate cancer treatment options include:
- Surgery - a urologist surgically removes the entire prostate.
- External beam radiation therapy - a radiation oncologist directs high energy external beam radiation to noninvasively kill the cancer cells.
- Hormone therapy - a doctor prescribes medication to stop the production of hormones that help prostate cancer grow. The prescribing doctor may be a urologist or medical oncologist.
- Chemotherapy - a medical oncologist prescribes medication to kill cancer cells.
- Cryosurgery - doctor, usually a urologist or interventional radiologist, freezes the tumor within the prostate.
Sometimes a combination of treatments is best for your cancer, such as surgery followed by external beam radiation.
Some men can safely postpone treatment and watch their cancer closely until treatment is needed.
Often called active surveillance this approach allows man with low-risk prostate cancer to avoid the potential side effect of treatment or to delay them if treatment becomes necessary. Ask your doctors about the risks and benefits of all treatment options compared to active surveillance.