UnityPoint Clinic Sports Medicine and Concussion Center
When you get injured, it's important to be supported by experts who understand your injury and are specially trained to help you get back to living an active lifestyle as quickly and safely as possible. The Sports Medicine and Concussion Center specializes in the care of sports injuries and concussions, from diagnosis through recovery – all personalized to you and all in one location. Our team of experts include board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, a neuropsychologist, physical and speech therapists, and an athletic trainer. To find out more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (515) 276-3406.
The integrated team at Sports Medicine - Urbandale and Physical Therapy - Urbandale work together to create a personalized treatment plan that is tailored to meet your individual needs and goals. Sports medicine is a specialty that focuses on non-invasive
treatment options for all musculoskeletal injuries. Musculoskeletal injuries are injuries affecting the muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones. Sports medicine provides an alternative to surgical treatment options. At Sports Medicine - Urbandale our board-certified sports medicine physicians and physical therapy team have the expertise needed to get you back in the game!
Meet Our Sports Medicine Specialists
Marc Molis, MD, FAAFP
Marc Molis, MD, FAAFP, is board-certified in sports medicine and family medicine and is a Fellow with the American Academy of Family Physicians. Here are some additional career highlights for Dr. Molis:
- Dr. Molis received his medical degree from Northwestern University Medical School and completed his sports medicine fellowship at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Completed his residency with the Hinsdale Family Practice Residency Program and an internship with Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago.
- Is a faculty member at Blank Children's Hospital where he helps to teach residents and is also on the faculty at the University of Iowa.
- Has experience in performance medicine (previously worked with the Milwaukee Ballet) and team sports medicine care. Dr. Molis currently provides his services to many Des Moines area sports teams including West Des Moines Valley High School, the Des Moines Cycling Team, Simpson College and the Des Moines Buccaneers. He also has previous experience with the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team.
- Contributes to many sports medicine articles and books including an area that he specializes in asthma and the athlete.
- He frequently presents lectures on Concussion Management throughout the Des Moines area.
- Was named a 2008 Des Moines Top Doctor by DSM Magazine.
View Provider Profile
Shawn Spooner, MD, FAAFP
Shawn Spooner, MD, FAAFP, is board-certified in sports medicine and family medicine. Here are some additional career highlights for Dr. Spooner:
- Dr. Spooner received his medical degree from the University of Iowa College of Medicine and completed his residency at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.
- Completed his sports medicine fellowship with the United States Navy at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, California.
- Has practiced operational military and sports medicine with the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Special Forces. Experience includes overseas work in Korea and Afghanistan.
- Has experience in performance medicine. Dr. Spooner currently provides his services to many Des Moines area sports teams including: Chow's Gymnastics & Dance, ADM High School, Grandview University and the Des Moines Buccaneers.
- Research interests include injury risk prediction and prevention, post-concussion care and recovery. Has studied and published work on post-concussion recovery, balance screening, and the effect of exercise on human immune response to illness.
- Certified to administer the formal Functional Movement Screen (FMS), an injury risk prediction tool. Works with athletes and active individuals to prevent injury through proactive corrective exercise.
- Administers the FUSIONETICS athlete performance system, a program designed to prevent injury, enhance recovery and maximize performance.
- Is a certified/licensed level III U.S. Cycling Coach.
View Provider Profile
UnityPoint Clinic Sports Medicine is proud to partner with the following athletic teams and organizations.