Parish Nurse Tasks
The nurses involved with Trinity's parish nurse program work as health advocates and to facilitate lay ministries in their individual parishes. Trinity's program also sponsors the Human Adventures of Me program.
- Blood pressure checks
- Offer screenings for various health issues
- Serve as site for other community agencies in providing services such as flu and foot clinics
- Private consultations regarding health issue
- Group education such as support groups for grief issues, caregivers and healthy living
- Write articles for the bulletin and newsletter
- Referral and advocacy
- Coordinate plan of care following discharge from hospital/nursing home
- Contact physician's office for individuals that need assistance
- Guide persons to use community resources
- Act as spokesperson when an individual cannot act on his/her own behalf
- Meet with families to plan care of individual or to counsel members
- Make home, hospital and nursing home visits to monitor health status, provide emotional support, encourage compliance with medical treatment and recommend community services
- Bereavement visits
- Facilitate lay ministries
- Coordinate volunteers to assist with various programs and needs of individuals
- Work with the wellness committee to meet the needs of the congregation
- Interpret the relationship between faith and health
- Assist family in time of crisis
- Stay with individual during surgery if family not available
- Stay with family during family member's surgery
- Encourage use of prayer, scripture and devotional materials as aids to healing
- Incorporate spiritual values into health education
- Communication and documentation
- Communicate with clergy, church staff, church council, wellness committee and volunteers
- Communicate schedule and activities with church secretary
- Record pertinent information on the individual's record
- Record statistical information to be shared with clergy, church council, and program staff at UnityPoint Health - Trinity
- Participate in monthly Parish Nurse Sharing Group
Human Adventures of Me
Ever wonder how your teeth work?
Do you know how much of your body is made of water?
Would you like to know what lice eat?
These are just a few of the fun, unusual things kids will be able to discover when they venture through the children's interactive health fair, Human Adventures of Me.
The Trinity Parish Nurse Program developed the health fair as a way to fulfill our mission of offering health education to children in a fun and interesting way. Helping children learn how their bodies work and how to keep them healthy and strong is what we hope this fair will accomplish. Through discovery and experience, children can learn how body systems function and interact with each other.
Studies have shown that the more entertaining, humorous, and interactive an event is, the more likely children will understand and retain the knowledge. It's like the saying says: Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I'll remember. Actively involve me, I'll learn.
Human Adventures of Me consists of 14 different subjects in booths, designed to be set up in a large room such as a school gym or church hall. The amount of room required depends upon the number of booths your organization wishes to use. Each booth comes with an outlined script to follow and complete instructions. We provide the booths, you provide the manpower!
The target audience is grades 3-6 but Human Adventures of Me has captured the attention of younger children, adolescents and even adults. In fact, this is as much fun for the adults as it is for the kids! The cost is $20 per booth, plus a damage deposit is required. When the fair items are returned in clean and good condition, your deposit will be refunded.