Young Preschool Program
Welcome to the Young Preschool Program!Young Preschool is full of adventure! Children will be introduced to new experiences, including art and music, small and large motor activities, and key skills for gaining new independence. In addition, communication and problem-solving skills will be emerging as they grow. We look forward to building stronger relationships with your children and you.
We believe in being “available” to each child so that we can learn their unique communication styles, their special qualities and individual personalities. We encourage children to respect themselves and others through modeling. We want to promote a healthy and happy learning environment. We see these things as the key to building security and teaching trust.
Curriculum and Classroom ScheduleLesson plan activities will be geared toward each child’s developmental level. Opportunities for music, movement and laughter, large and small motor activities, art and sensory experiences, and dramatic play will be a part of the everyday routine. A lesson will be posted weekly on the parent bulletin board. Monthly themes and children’s interest and knowledge will be used to guide this planning. Please see the attached daily schedule and our menus.
Child GuidanceTeachers support positive interaction with the children and guide them through this process. The children are offered choices and are redirected if the need arises. Teachers acknowledge feelings, offer suggestions and encourage sharing and problem-solving.
What to Bring?
Each child will have a cubby in which to keep his/her belongings. You will need to bring the following items to the center:
- Diapers (disposable or cloth), and please check them often to ensure adequate supply
- If you use cloth diapers, please bring a plastic container and bags to line it. Parents take cloth diapers home at the end of each day.
- Any topical ointments, powders, etc., for your child’s diapering. You will need to sign medical authorization sheet for these items.
- Sunscreen. We use one brand of sunscreen for the entire class, and you will need to sign an authorization sheet. Should you prefer to bring in your own sunscreen please feel free to do so! You will need to sign a medical authorization sheet.
- Crib sheet and blanket for your child’s cot. Please write your child’s name on it. Please take these home to launder weekly.
- Extra clothes – shirts, pants, socks, underwear, rubber pants, etc. Please bring at least two changes of clothing. Please check periodically to ensure that clothes are fitting and are appropriate for the weather.
- Hats, jackets, etc. We are required to spend time outside when weather permits, so please bring appropriate clothing.