Delivering Our Future
The Family Birthing Suites team within UnityPoint Health – Finley Hospital is dedicated to providing family-centered care to meet the needs of a patient’s growing family. With a specialized care team including: family practice physicians, obstetricians, neonatal nurse practitioners, nurses and support staff, the Family Birthing Suites team puts family at the heart of everything they do.
As part of a birth plan, patients have the opportunity to explore a natural or cesarean (C-Section) birth. Located within the Family Birthing Suites, the C-Section Suite is a full surgical suite equipped for a planned or unplanned cesarean delivery without leaving the unit. The room is filled with people who will assist in the surgical birth, such as:
A C-Section is a major abdominal operation, which can be incredibly stressful for expectant parents. While any surgery should be taken seriously, with proper training, experience, and the right facility we can empower our providers, team, and expectant C-Section mothers to be comfortable and prepared.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), roughly 32%, or 1 in 3 births, in the United States are delivered by C-Section.
- In 2022, the Family Birthing Suites delivered 531 babies, including seven sets of twins. Of those births, 183 were delivered by cesarean. This accounts for 34.5% of 2022 deliveries.
- More than 50% of those C-Sections were not scheduled and happened emergently.
Finley Hospital prides itself on providing the best outcome every patient, every time. An important part of that vision is mirroring the high level of care provided to patients with the facility in which they are receiving care. Built in the 1950s, the cesarean suite is ready for an upgrade.
Creating an efficient, state-of-the-art, calming environment within the C-Section suite will provide expectant mothers and their support person a sense of ease and comfort, knowing they are receiving the best care possible.
Plans call for renovating existing space to include:
- Upgraded technology (infant camera and monitor) so mothers can fully experience the birthing process making it a more personal experience.
- Reorganize the operating room to optimize the positioning of mother and baby to ensure easy entry and access to both during normal and emergent situations.
- Add a built-in blanket/fluid warmer to improve patient care and efficiency for hospital staff.
- Expand the main operating room door to provide a smoother transition in and out of the room for patient beds and equipment.
- Add a separate door for team members to care specifically for baby, if necessary, while maintaining a sterile field for mother.
- Ability to provide care for multiple-birth pregnancies without having to re-arrange necessary equipment.
- Improve waiting area for support person with visible access to always see the mom via window.
- Provide built in storage within the operating room for supplies and equipment.
- Replace scrub sinks.
- Update areas within the suite for better storage and organization.
Enhancing the Facilities
Our goal is to raise $1.3 million from community partnerships to fully fund an updated C-Section Suite.
Streamlining the layout, functionality, and equipment of the current C-Section Suite will provide a positive experience for the patient and their support person, while building upon the current practice of not separating mother and child during the recovery period. This will improve the skin-to-skin contact directly after birth which then helps initiate the first breastfeeding and mother-child bonding that are critical in the first hour of life.
Renovating the current space will provide expectant parents a room which provides a calm and aesthetically pleasing environment with up-to- date technology so they can fully experience the birth process.
Construction is slated to begin in Spring 2025.
Ways to Give
You can make this critical renovation a reality by supporting it with your gift. Please know your gift to Finley Health Foundation is tax deductible to the greatest extent of the law.
When you choose the best way for you, please give generously:
- Gifts may be made in cash, stock and securities.
- Gifts can include real estate, life insurance, personal property and IRA distribution.
- Matching gifts through your employer or spouse’s employer can double, or even triple your gift.
- Pledges are accepted and may be paid over a maximum of two years.
- Your gift may be made to honor or memorialize someone special.
"We are extremely proud of the quality of care that each family receives during their stay in the Family Birthing Suites. Our team personalizes every moment to make the birth of each child more memorable and less of a medical procedure, while still providing outstanding care. Help us extend that level of excellence into our facility so the environment mirrors the care that is provided while irreplaceable memories are made for years to come. "
Thank You for Your Contribution
All gifts will be restricted to the Family Birthing Suites C-Section Suite Renovation.
- Contributors of $2,500 or more will be recognized for their generosity on the donor wall located within Finley Hospital.
- Naming opportunities are available as a result of a major gift. Recognition of these gifts will appear in a prominent place in the designated area.