College Student Volunteer
Volunteers at Iowa Methodist, Methodist West, Blank Children's Hospital and Iowa Lutheran make a difference for our patients, families and staff. College volunteers must commit to two semesters.
College student volunteers need to meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in college.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Willing to commit to volunteering one shift, for a minimum of 2 to 4 hours once per week.
- Must volunteer for two semesters (Example: summer and fall, fall and spring, spring and summer). NO SUMMER ONLY OPPORTUNITIES!
- Must complete an application, health screening, and an interview/orientation. A seasonal flu vaccine and COVID vaccine are required.
- Must clear a criminal background check and dependent adult/child abuse registry check.
- Complete necessary training.
Join Our Team
If you love helping people and would like to be a part of our College Volunteer Team, please select which campus you would like to apply for:
Methodist West Hospital
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
Iowa Methodist Medical Center/Blank Children's Hospital
College Volunteer Opportunities
HELP Program - IMMC Campus Only
What is HELP? The Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) was developed by health care experts at Yale University to prevent delirium and physical decline in hospitalized older adults. HELP is now part of quality health care in more than 200 hospitals in the United States and internationally.
The Hospital Elder Life Program at UnityPoint Health works with nurses, doctors and other health care professionals. HELP staff and volunteers receive special program training and education to provide activities and services to assist in keeping patients engaged and active.
We are looking for several volunteers to join the HELP team at Iowa Methodist Hospital. College students are asked to commit to two semesters.
Emergency Department Volunteer
We are now accepting applications for college students interested in volunteering to help staff and patients in our Emergency Department. Weekday and weekend placements will be for shifts from:
11:00am-3:00pm (IMMC campus only)
4:00pm-7:00pm (all campuses)
7:00pm-10:00pm (all campuses)
Volunteers applying for the Emergency Department volunteer position need to be pursuing a degree towards a medical-related field. Examples: Nursing, PA, Medicine.