Giving Toys and Gifts
Thank you for your generosity! By donating toys and gifts, you are giving patients the opportunity to play and have fun while they are in the hospital.
In response to the global outbreak of COVID-19, we are not currently accepting any face-to-face donations dropped off at the hospital.
Donations may be mailed to:
Blank Children's Hospital Administration
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
You can help us support the health and safety of our patients by reviewing and following the guidelines below.
- All donated items must be new.
- Due to infection control concerns, we do not accept stuffed animals of any kind (new or used).
- Gifts may not contain Latex, including duct tape.
- Gifts cannot have violent themes.
- We cannot accept candy or food. Many patients have dietary restrictions or allergies.
- Do not include information about a business or nonprofit organization with each donated item. We have dedicated spaces to place a flyer or brochures should families want to learn more.
- NEW in 2020: We want to honor the wishes of our donors, but we are unable to accept items that contain information identifying past or present patients. This includes but is not limited to the patient's name, birth date, photo(s) and story or care experience. Thank you for your sensitivity to the current patients and families.
- Please know that donors are unable to deliver gifts directly to patients. We do this to respect the privacy and safety of patients and families. Our Child Life team distributes the gifts with great care to ensure appropriateness for each patient.
- Remember to fill out the Gift In Kind Form.
Wish Lists: Shopping Made Simple
If you're looking for a quick way to purchase and donate items, you can place an order through our online wish lists below.
Certified Child Life specialists combine play with education to explain medical procedures and provide therapeutic opportunities to explore the hospital environment. This helps to reduce a child's stress and make their hospital experience easier on both kids and families. The Child Life Wish Lists support patients in the hospital, our emergency department and our clinics. If you have questions or need assistance navigating the Child Life Wish Lists, please call 515-241-6152 or e-mail DM_ChildLifeWishList@unitypoint.org.
Child Life Amazon Wish List
Child Life Target Wish List
**When shopping the Target registry, please leave mailing address in "Gift Note" section so that we are able to thank you for your generosity.
Blank Children's Hospital offers a full range of therapy services for inpatient and outpatient care for infants, children and teens who have an injury, developmental condition or illness. Our services include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and audiology. Through the generosity of our community, we are able to provide these much-needed services to children in central Iowa. The Pediatric Therapy Wish List items help patients who use our physical, occupational and speech/language therapy services. If you have questions or need assistance navigating the Pediatric Therapy Wish List, please e-mail DM_PediatricTherapyWishList@unitypoint.org.
Pediatric Therapy Amazon Wish List
The SHINE program (Sharing, Healing, Inspiring, Nurturing, Enduring) provides perinatal and pediatric palliative care services in Des Moines and the surrounding area. Palliative care is a special kind of health care. It can be provided at any stage of a serious illness and alongside curative treatment plans. Donations through the SHINE Program Wish List help us offer care to patients and families in the hospital and at their homes. If you have questions or need assistance navigating the SHINE Program Wish List, please call 515-241-8900.
SHINE Program Amazon Wish List
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The Variety Intensive Care Nursery is dedicated to providing high-quality, family-centered care for premature and critically-ill newborns. We offer private rooms, use the latest technology and have been pioneering care for newborns since the unit opened in 1972. Your donations help us care for our most vulnerable patients and their families with the love and respect they deserve.
Downloadable NICU Wish List