Giving Toys and Gifts
Thank you for your generosity! By donating toys and gifts, you are giving patients the opportunity to play and have fun while they are in the hospital.
We are now able to accept in person donations by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call (515) 241-6152 prior to making or purchasing donations to speak with a team member regarding current needs of our patients and families. Once you're ready to donate items, please call us to set up an appointment. Masks must be worn during the time of drop off.
Donations may be mailed to:
Blank Children's Hospital Administration
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
You can help us support the health and safety of our patients by reviewing and following the guidelines below.
- All donated items must be new.
- Due to infection control concerns, we do not accept stuffed animals of any kind (new or used).
- Gifts cannot contain Latex, including duct tape.
- Gifts cannot have violent themes.
- We cannot accept candy or food. Many patients have dietary restrictions or allergies.
- Do not include information about a business or nonprofit organization with each donated item. We have dedicated spaces to place a flyer or brochures should families want to learn more.
- We want to honor the wishes of our donors, but we are unable to accept items that contain information identifying past or present patients. This includes but is not limited to the patient's name, birth date, photo(s) and story or care experience. Thank you for your sensitivity to the current patients and families.
- Please know that donors are unable to deliver gifts directly to patients. We do this to respect the privacy and safety of patients and families. Our Child Life team distributes the gifts with great care to ensure appropriateness for each patient.
- Remember to fill out the Gift In Kind Form.
Wish Lists: Shopping Made Simple
If you're looking for a quick way to purchase and donate items, you can place an order through our online wish lists below.
Certified Child Life specialists combine play with education to explain medical procedures and provide therapeutic opportunities to explore the hospital environment. This helps to reduce a child's stress and make their hospital experience easier on both kids and families. The Child Life Wish Lists support patients in the hospital, our emergency department and our clinics. If you have questions or need assistance navigating the Child Life Wish Lists, please call 515-241-6152 or e-mail DM_ChildLifeWishList@unitypoint.org.
Our dynamic team at Blank Pediatric Therapy is committed to providing the vital services of occupational, physical and speech therapy to the children of Iowa. The development of children's abilities to move, talk and care for themselves is best done through play. For motivation during therapy sessions, we use a variety of toys, equipment and materials to help kids get stronger and learn new skills. If you're interested in making a difference for Iowa's children, visit our Amazon Wish List below. Our list is filled with items that help to strengthen and educate the children and families in our care. One hundred percent of all contributions benefit Blank Pediatric Therapy and the children we serve. If you have questions or need assistance navigating the Amazon registry, please email DM_PediatricTherapyWishList@unitypoint.org. If you would like a receipt for tax purposes, be sure to complete the Gift In Kind form above.
The SHINE program (Sharing, Healing, Inspiring, Nurturing, Enduring) provides perinatal and pediatric palliative care services in Des Moines and the surrounding area. Palliative care is a special kind of health care. It can be provided at any stage of a serious illness and alongside curative treatment plans. Donations through the SHINE Program Wish List help us offer care to patients and families in the hospital and at their homes. If you have questions or need assistance navigating the SHINE Program Wish List, please call 515-241-8900.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The Variety Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is dedicated to providing high-quality, family-centered care for premature and critically-ill newborns. We offer private rooms, use the latest technology and have been pioneering care for newborns since the unit opened in 1972. Your donations help us care for our most vulnerable patients and their families with the love and respect they deserve.
At the STAR Center, we believe that every child deserves a happy and healthy childhood. We promise to provide services which help them get back on path to having one. The STAR Center is a unique community center designed to be child and adolescent friendly and trauma sensitive. Our staff are experts in child development and have a thorough understanding of how traumatic stress and Adverse Childhood Experiences may impact the health and well-being of children. With these principles in mind, our clinics work to increase a child's resiliency and improve their health and well-being.