Telepsychiatry Services in the Quad Cities and Muscatine
Telepsychiatry services are behavioral health care provided via secure online video. This virtual care helps UnityPoint Health's Robert Young Center provide high-quality behavioral health expertise to more people in the Quad Cities and Muscatine region.
Virtual care makes mental health and substance use services more convenient and flexible. With telemedicine, we can better meet the needs of people and families faced with all types of mental illness and substance use disorders.
Need Help Now?
Get confidential support from trained mental health professionals, 24/7, by calling our crisis intervention line at 309-779-2999.
What is Telepsychiatry?
Telepsychiatry uses HIPAA-compliant telemedicine technology, such as videoconferencing, over a secure connection to provide behavioral health services from a distance. We use telepsychiatry to reach children and adults in emergency departments, schools and mental health outpatient locations — and even at home.
Mental Health Telemedicine Services in the Quad Cities and Muscatine
We provide an increasing number of telepsychiatry services, including routine outpatient services and crisis services. Our telepsychiatry services include:
- Psychiatric care: Our psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners offer virtual mental and behavioral health evaluations. In some cases, providers can even prescribe or refill medications during a virtual visit. A virtual care approach helps us provide high-quality psychiatry care in difficult-to-access locations, including rural areas and the Rock Island County Jail.
- Routine outpatient care: Multiple types of telehealth services (also called online counseling or therapy) are available for routine outpatient care. Through computer technology, you can access mental health or substance use treatment virtually:
- At Robert Young Center outpatient clinics, as you connect with a telehealth provider on our team who may live far away.
- Crisis support: We provide telepsychiatry consults to 12 emergency departments throughout Iowa and Illinois. Our specialists can evaluate and support someone experiencing a mental health crisis in a hospital that doesn't have in-person behavioral health resources.
Members of the Robert Young Center team have worked at the state level, with the Illinois Medicaid Advisory Board for Telepsychiatry. This group discusses how current and evolving telepsychiatry services can better meet the behavioral health needs of people in local communities.
Telepsychiatry can help people and families affected by mental health or substance use disorders in many ways, including:
- Improved access to behavioral health specialists, despite local staffing shortages
- More efficient care, including shorter wait times for appointments
- Added convenience of being able to talk to your care team from your home
- Increased flexibility to arrange appointments around your schedule
- Fewer obstacles to care, such as transportation difficulties
Connect with one of our trusted mental health specialists, easily. Call 309-779-3000 to learn more about our mental health services.