Advanced Urology. Close to home.
Did you get referred out of town for advanced urology treatment? From robotic surgery to pediatric care, the team at UnityPoint Health Allen Hospital – Center for Urology can provide what you need in a caring, non-intimidating environment.
We offer comprehensive treatment for disorders affecting the male and female urinary tract. Additionally, our team treats conditions of the male genital and reproductive system, such as prostate cancer and vasectomies. Typically, the organs considered part of the urology discipline are the kidneys, male reproductive organs, adrenal glands, urethra and bladder.
Our urology team includes Waterloo's only robotic surgery experts. We perform surgery as necessary including minimally invasive laser, laparoscopic and robotic surgery. Patients receive personalized care and have access to some of the most advanced treatments available.
What do our urologists treat?
- Bladder disorders including:
- Urinary Incontinence
- Kidney Stone Disease
- Prostate Disorders
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Surgical oncology for bladder, kidney, prostate and testicular cancer including Robotic Surgery and Cryotherapy
- Implantation of urologic devices
- General pediatric urology
What procedures do our urologists perform?
- Bladder Biopsy — samples of the bladder are removed and sent for testing
- Bladder Instillations — instilling medication into bladder
- Bladder Ultrasound / Scanning of Post Void Residual Urine — procedure to determine how much urine is left in the bladder after a patient voids
- Botox Injections – used to treat overactive bladder or incontinence.
- Catheter Changes — helps drain the bladder by inserting a rubber catheter into the bladder through the urethra
- Cystourethroscopy — allows the physician to see the inside of the bladder through a cystoscope. In our office, the patient has the capability to view this procedure and findings on a monitor
- Destruction and Removal of Lesions
- Fulguration of Bladder Lesions — procedure to destroy a bladder lesion by burning it
- Injections for Lupron, Zoladex, Firmagon and Prolia — hormone injection for the treatment of prostate cancer
- Penile Injections for Sexual Dysfunction — medication injections into penis for treatment of sexual dysfunction
- Percutaneous Nerve Evaluation — procedure that helps with voiding problems
- Prostate Biopsy — takes an image of prostate and samples of the prostate to test for prostate cancer.
- Rezum™ Treatment for BPH – minimally invasive procedure using water vapor to treat BPH
- Urethral Dilatations — procedure to help to open the urethra
- Urodynamics — study to evaluate your bladder's function and efficiency
- Vasectomy — prohibits sperm from reaching semen that is ejaculated from penis
- Cryotherapy — using cold gas to freeze the entire prostate to eradicate cancer cells
- Interstim — sacral nerve stimulation to treat overactive bladder
- Laser — surgical procedure performed with a laser that delivers a shallow cut
- Laparoscopy — surgical procedure performed on the abdomen or pelvis through small incisions / cut
- Robotic Surgery — surgical procedure using a very small tool attached to a robotic arm where the doctor controls the robotic arm with a computer
- Abdominal Sacrocolpopexy — correction of prolapse of the vagina
- Adrenalectomy — one or both adrenal glands are removed
- Cystectomy — removal of part or entire bladder
- Nephrectomy (partial and total) — removal of part or the entire kidney
- Prostatectomy — removal of the prostate
- Pyeloplasty — reconstruction or revision of the renal pelvis to drain the kidney
- Ureteral Reimplant — corrects abnormality in ureter to improve drainage
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy (ESWL) — use of shockwaves to break up kidney stones
- Laser Lithotripsy — removal of stones from the urinary tract
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotripsy (PCNL) — removal of kidney stones
- Ureteroscopy — examination of upper urinary tract
- Artificial Sphincter — for male stress incontinence
- Macroplastique Injections — for stress incontinence
- Slings — for male and female incontinence using mesh or autologous fascia (natural tissue)
- Penile Plication – penile curvature or Peyronie's disease
- Penile Prosthesis — for refractory erectile dysfunction
- Microsurgical varicocelectomy — corrects enlarged veins in the scrotum
- Vasectomy reversal — reconnects the tubes (vas deferens) that wore cut during a vasectomy
- Circumcision and circumcision revision – removal of foreskin from the penis
- Cystoscopy – allows the physician to see the inside of the bladder through a cystoscope
- Meatotomy – surgery to reopen a scarred or narrowed urethral opening
- Orchidopexy — surgery to move undescended testicle into the scrotum