The UnityPoint Advantage
UnityPoint Clinic - Weight Loss offers a comprehensive program with several important advantages for patients. Wellmark® Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® of Iowa has designated Iowa Methodist Medical Center as a Blue Distinction Center + for Bariatric Surgery.
- A dedicated team of specialists who have many years of experience in dealing with the needs of weight loss surgery patients.
- Medical Director Teresa LaMasters, MD, has received special training in minimally invasive bariatric surgery techniques, including advanced robotic assisted surgeries performed with the da Vinci Surgical system.
- We are a designated Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery from the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. For this designation, the ASMBS requires the hospital or institution to perform at least 125 bariatric surgeries per year, have a dedicated multi-disciplinary bariatric team, report long-term outcomes and submit to an on-site inspection. Over 400 hospitals and institutions are designated as ASMBS Centers of Excellence in the U.S.
- Blue Distinction is a designation awarded by Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality healthcare. The designation is based on rigorous, evidence-based selection criteria established in collaboration with expert physicians' and medical organizations' recommendations.
Weight Loss Program Components
- Nutrition counseling, to discuss the nutritional changes necessary for all stages of your weight loss journey.
- Exercise consultation, to provide individual guidance about appropriate levels of exercise and intensity throughout your weight loss.
- Mental health consultation to help patients understand the life changes that accompany bariatric surgery and extreme weight loss.
- Facilitation of quality care through immediate access to all areas of specialized physicians within Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
- Accessible follow-up care.
- Follow-through with primary care physicians before and after surgery.
- Dedicated support group that will meet monthly to discuss life as a bariatric surgery patient.
UnityPoint Clinic Weight Loss at West Des Moines and Iowa Methodist Medical Center have re-qualified to be part of the OptumHealth Bariatric Centers of Excellence network (COE). Because clinical outcomes of bariatric surgery vary widely, receiving services at an OptumHealth Bariatric Resource Services Center of Excellence facility helps to ensure that bariatric surgery and care are delivered in a manner that meets strict standards and increases the likelihood of superior outcomes; it also ultimately reduces costs.