UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Perinatal Center
Perinatal medicine is the health field that provides care for women and their fetuses who have risk for complications. These pregnancies are often referred to as "high risk."
A perinatologist is an obstetrician-gynecologist with additional training in high-risk obstetrics. The perinatologists at the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Perinatal Center are ready to work with you and your physicians to determine what is best for you and your unborn baby.
Consultation services with us allow you and your primary OB/GYN provider to discuss the concerns surrounding your health and pregnancy, developing a plan of care for you and your primary OB/GYN provider to follow. All patients will receive their primary care and delivery from their primary OB/GYN provider and utilize the Perinatal Center as a referring partner in your care.
Perinatal Services provides care for women and their unborn babies that have high risk for complications. These pregnancies include:
- Multiple fetuses (twins, triplets or more)
- History of early deliveries
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart, Lung, Vascular or Kidney Disease
- Blood disorders
- Fetal complications
- Genetic counseling gives the patient and physician or genetic counselor an opportunity to discuss the risks for the pregnancy and the available prenatal tests.
- Prenatal diagnosis provides the opportunity to test for genetic disorders in babies. We offer chorionic villus sampling (CVS) in addition to amniocentesis.
- Diabetes management requires careful education, diet, exercise and insulin instruction as well as fetal monitoring. Comprehensive care is available.
- Ultrasound evaluation provides an assessment of your baby's anatomy, along with follow-up ultrasounds to measure fetal well-being. Routine and advanced ultrasound examinations are performed by registered sonographers and are reviewed by the perinatologist. Most visits to the perinatal center include an ultrasound for 30-60 minutes (possibly longer if you are pregnant with multiples) followed by a 30-60 minute consult with a nurse and provider. Please expect appointments to last up to 2 hours if scheduled for an ultrasound and consult.
For ultrasound only appointments, your results will be given to you by your primary OB provider.
Whether it's a dietitian, other wellness opportunities or home health care, the Care Team is ready to connect you with resources that can help support your health goals.
Insurance & Billing
Our clinic participates with most major insurance companies. Please bring a copy of your insurance card to your appointments. We will file the claim with your insurance company on your behalf. If you have copayment, it is due at the time of service. Any account balance identified as your responsibility after the insurance has paid will be billed directly to you. If you have questions about your account, please contact our customer service line managed by Avadyne at 1 (844) 849-1260. Financial Counselors are available on-site to help you with insurance questions.
Patient Portal - MyUnityPoint
Manage your health and the health of your family, conveniently and securely, through MyUnityPoint at chart.myunitypoint.org. MyUnityPoint allows you to view your personal health information, communicate with your Care Team through secure messaging, request appointments, refill prescriptions, view lab results and review medical records. Access is available at unitypoint.org.
Medical Record Release
Medical records are confidential and require written consent by the patient or guardian in order to be released from our office. Once a request is received, it could take up to two weeks to process. Please submit your request in advance so that we can meet your needs in a timely manner. To acquire a medical record release form, contact your clinic's Patient Experience Specialist or visit unitypoint.org to print out your form. Our office can only provide records for
the care received from our office. Any other records requests must be made with your primary OB/GYN office or where the care was received.