Number of patients waiting reflects the current number of patients waiting to be seen. This number changes frequently and is not exact.
UnityPoint Health – AbbeHealth Services – Aging Services enhances the lives of older adults by providing services and resources to assist them in remaining independent. Each year, approximately 3,000 older adults are matched with the resources needed to ensure their continued independence. The first step to continued independence for you or your caregiver may be speaking with a care coordinator at intake. The coordinators will match your needs with community resources, assess and coordinate options, and develop an individual care plan that will allow for ongoing support. Additionally, a care coordinator may be able to assist with Elder Abuse Intervention. Older adults can be especially vulnerable to financial exploitation or self-neglect. An elder abuse specialist can help intervene and find necessary supports and services.
Adult Day Health Centers
Aging Services' Adult Day Centers provide services for individuals age 18 and older who may require support, supervision and structure away from home to remain independent. Our staff is committed to assisting participants experiencing Alzheimer's disease and related dementias, vision loss, depression, brain injuries, developmental disabilities, impairments resulting from stroke, and other conditions, achieve maximum levels of independence.
Our Adult Day Health Centers are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and are specifically designed to provide opportunities and assistance to challenged adults.
Utilizing the HEAL® treatment model our centers offer:
- H - Health related services
- E - Environmental design
- A - Arts and humanities
- L - Lifelong learning
Services include the following:
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks
- Health therapies
- Access to an open art studio, music programs, culinary classes, and a computer lab
- Adult education and programming through self-directed learning
- Nursing, dietary and mental health assessments
- Medication management and administration
- Bathing and grooming
We have three Adult Day Center locations, including:
Referrals - If you or someone you know could benefit from the services of our adult day health centers, please contact one of the centers directly. We welcome self-referrals, as well as those by local agencies and family members.
The Respite Program is designed to alleviate some of the stress that a primary caregiver may experience. This is an in-home care option. A respite provider can provide temporary relief by completing minor tasks the caregiver would otherwise coordinate or provide on their own.
Some of these tasks may include meal prep, providing companionship, light housekeeping, personal care, and offering medication reminders.
Providers are screened in compliance with the State of Iowa's criminal records investigation check to ensure the safety of everyone. After the family's needs are assessed, they are matched with a compatible provider. Hourly rates and schedules are determined by the family and the provider. Financial assistance may be available for eligible families.
Call (319) 373-3494 to learn more about respite services.
Home Repair & Transportation Services
Small Home Repairs – can help maintain and improve an individual's home function and safety. We can arrange for:
- Minor home repairs
- Lawn mowing
- Snow removal
- Seasonal yard care
- Home adaptations (wheelchair ramps, grab bars, handrails, etc.)
These services are available to anyone who meets the eligibility guidelines.
Transportation Services – are available for medical appointments, trips to the grocery store/food bank and other essential errands.
Wellness and Outreach
Wellness and Outreach provides active lifestyle programs that support and nurture the strengths of older adults enabling them to maximize their well-being. Programs include Lifelong Learning Programs, health promotion and wellness education. For additional information, call (319) 398-3647.
- Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) – The purpose of SHIIP (Senior Health Insurance Information Program) is to provide free, unbiased counseling to Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers about Medicare, Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D), Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C), Medicare supplement plans and other supplemental insurance, billing and claims issues, Medicare fraud and abuse.
- Caregiver Support and Assessment – UnityPoint Health is dedicated to providing caregivers the support they need to take care of themselves as they are caring for someone they love.
- Community Resources
Volunteer with Aging Services
Volunteers help individuals remain in their homes by:
- Assisting with scheduled transportation to medical appointments, grocery stores/food banks and other essential errands
- Visiting or calling home-bound older adults
- Performing well-being checks
- Delivering holiday meals
Call (319) 398-3647 to learn more about volunteering with Aging Services.