Heart Disease Prevention
Heart disease can go undetected for years. Trinity Regional Medical Center offers a Calcium Scoring, or heart screening, scan to discover heart disease faster. This screening is to identify plaque in your coronary arteries and assess your heart's health.
The results are then sent to our expert partners at the Iowa Heart Center. If a problem is discovered you can rest assure you're in good hands and will be provided exceptional care close to home. Plus, there are no injections, treadmills, or pre-test fasting.
How does a Calcium Scoring scan work?
A computed tomography (CT) machine takes X-ray pictures of your heart and detects plaque in the arteries, creating a number called a calcium score. This number determines your heart disease risk. The results help your doctor assess your risk of heart disease and which steps you can take to avoid serious heart problems.
What is the cost of Calcium Scoring?
The cost is $99.
In order to qualify for the exam, you must have two of the following risk factors for heart disease.
- You are 40 - 75 years old.
- You smoke or have secondhand smoke exposure.
- You have cholesterol level of greater than 200 mg/dl.
- You have been told your blood pressure is high.
- Have diabetes or need medicine to control your blood sugar.
- You live a sedentary lifestyle.
- You're overweight by 20 or more pounds.
- You father or brother had a heart attack before age 55, your mother or sister had one before the age of 65.
A calcium scoring is not intended for individuals who know they have heart disease, have symptoms of heart disease such as chest pain or shortness of breath, or have received a positive calcium score.
Schedule an appointment
If you have two of the risk factors above, call (515) 574-6772 to schedule a calcium scoring.
Do you have risk factors for both Heart Disease and Lung Cancer? If you do, talk to your doctor about scheduling both screenings at the same time. Ask your doctor if your a candidate for both screenings.