Oncology Nurse Navigator
The Oncology Navigation Team at the Wendt Regional Cancer Center is staffed by two oncology certified nurses, who have an understanding of the technical aspects of cancer and the emotional aspects of the journey. The oncology nurses navigate patients through treatment side effects, while assisting with any emotional or financial needs.
What is Oncology Navigation?
Oncology (cancer) navigation refers to the individualized assistance offered to our patients, families, and caregivers by a knowledgeable registered nurse (RN). This role helps to assist you through the complex system of health care so that you can focus on your care and needs.
The program pairs you with one of our oncology nurse navigators who will be your consistent point of contact throughout your diagnosis, treatment, and onto survivor-ship. The navigator will remain in regular contact with you throughout the entire experience.
This program is not designed nor intended to circumvent or replace anything your office is currently doing or providing.
When is the best time for the Oncology Navigation Team to get involved?
It is best to reach out to the oncology nurse navigator as soon as possible after receiving a diagnosis. However, benefits of this service can be received at any stage of the cancer journey.
What will the Oncology Navigation Team provide?
- The navigator is an experienced and compassionate nurse available to patients.
- Provides education and assistance in helping patients and families understand the cancer diagnosis and treatment plan while watching closely for any issues that may arise.
- Acts as the consistent point of contact throughout diagnosis, treatment and onto survivor-ship.
- Serves, in part, as a care coordinator, educator, counselor for patients and families understanding that each patient's needs are highly individualized.
- Improves patient outcomes through support, education, monitoring and early intervention regarding any of the patient's needs. These needs might include practical needs such as transportation, wigs/scarves, and support groups, coping with lifestyle changes, financial, emotional or insurance concerns.
A Day in the Life of an Oncology Nurse Navigator
Is there a fee for this service?
We are pleased to provide this service for free to any cancer patient and their families and caregivers.
Contacting the Oncology Navigation Team
If you need assistance or have questions, you may contact the Wendt Regional Cancer Center Oncology Navigation Team directly by calling (563) 589-2468.