A registered dietitian with specialized experience and certification in oncology nutrition is on staff to review the nutrition care of our patients. Our dietitian works with patients, families and our medical team to help patients better understand:
- Assess nutrition needs
- Provide counseling and education on special diets
- Help make diet modifications to deal with side effects of disease and treatments
- Recommend individualized nutrition support options like tube feeding or TPN when oral intakes are not enough to maintain or improve nutrition status
- Provide education on feeding tube care and use
By helping patients understand more about nutrition, our dietitian works to:
- Prevent or correct nutritional deficiencies
- Minimize the side effects of treatment
- Enhance quality of life during treatment
- Improve ability to tolerate treatment
- Help achieve and maintain optimal body weight
- Incorporate healthy nutrition habits into daily living
- Educate family members about special nutrition needs
- Collaborate with providers to manage alternate nutrition and hydration therapies
A cancer diagnosis can often times leave one feeling out of control. Taking charge to ensure good nutrition can help. We know that cancer and treatments can affect the ability to meet your nutrition needs in many ways, such as: changing the way you chew or swallow, the way you taste food, and/or how your body can absorb nutrients. Advice about the best foods to eat or the most popular supplements to swallow seems to be everywhere. This information can be overwhelming and potentially dangerous.
That is where our registered oncology specialist dietitian at John Stoddard Cancer Center, a service of UnityPoint Health - Des Moines, can help. Our dietitian will focus on assessing the individual diet and nutrition needs of each patient. The dietitian understands that food or nutrition support can become an ally in the fight against cancer.
For more information about our services and how a dietitian can help you, please talk with your physician or call (515) 241-3310.