In order to meet the needs of our patients, Iowa Lutheran Hospital provides a variety of adult behavioral health services through our intensive hospital programs. Patients receive services during part of the day based on individual needs and return home at night. The appropriate service and level of care are determined individually through initial and ongoing assessments.
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
The Adult IOP program is located at Iowa Lutheran Hospital in Des Moines, IA. It is a safe and supportive setting where individuals can learn health coping skills to manage their mental health symptoms.
What to expect from Adult IOP
Our IOP mission statement is "To support and provide educational groups to empower patients living with the challenges of mental health issues. We do this by providing a safe place to share experiences, find support from peers and staff, learn coping skills to use and to have support options in the community by time of discharge from IOP."
We know that sensitive issues can surround mental illness and privacy is important to recovery. At the Adult IOP program we take this seriously and provide professional, competent and confidential services.
* Use of cell phones during group is prohibited.
Treatment and recovery can begin at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines. We offer services to adults 18 and older. Our services are located on the 4th floor, West wing of Iowa Lutheran Hospital.
- Evaluation and Assessments- Individuals can call to schedule an evaluation to determine the appropriate level of care. To schedule your assessment, please call (515) 263-5250.
- Treatment- Following your evaluation, our knowledgeable and educated staff will consult with our physicians to determine the most appropriate level of care. This could be referring you to a psychiatric medical provider, an individual therapist, IOP, partial hospitalization program or support groups in the community. All treatment is provided by a skilled interdisciplinary team.
- Continuing Care- Following discharge from our IOP program patients are offered this support group that is led by one of our therapist. It meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. for 4 weeks. This is billed to your insurance company.
Partial Hospitalization Program
Individuals will be evaluated by a mental health therapist to determine if partial level of care is the appropriate level of care for the patient. If it is determined that partial is the level of care for the patient, they will attend the program Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. for 1-2 weeks. Patients will be seen by a med provider weekly to evaluate medications.
Focus of Programs
- Provide group therapy and individual treatment time
- Assist client with identification and expression of feelings
- Assist with increasing self-awareness and improving self-esteem and stress management
- Assist with developing effective communication skills, coping skills, and problem solving abilities
- Assist client with returning to individual and family responsibilities
- Build awareness of available community resources
- Offer transitional care following completion of outpatient programs
- Provide education to client about diagnosis, symptom management and medication
A multidisciplinary team that includes physicians, nurses, social workers, care managers, occupation, recreational, and mental health therapists provide care in this program.
The dedicated, compassionate and caring staff is ready to discuss with you or someone you know any questions or concerns you may have. For more information, please contact Tina Lansing at (515) 263-5250.