Diabetes and Kidney Fund
Made possible by the generosity of donors, the UnityPoint Clinic Diabetes and Kidney Center has established a Diabetes and Kidney Fund to provide financial assistance to all eligible patients who have chronic kidney disease stage III - advanced and/or diabetes.
The fund provides assistance
for men and women with this diagnosis who are in financial need and
reside in the Cedar Rapids community. The fund provides money for services in support
of an individual's care.
Patients are eligible to apply for the Five Seasons Fund one (1) time every twelve months. The maximum dollar amount of assistance from the Diabetes and Kidney Fund to a patient will be $250/year.
Financial assistance is available to assist with the following:
- Medication - prescription assistance. Paid directly to patient's pharmacy.
- Medical supplies related to kidney disease and/or diabetes. Paid directly to patient's medical supply store.
- Mobility aids (wheelchairs, etc.). Paid directly to patient's medical supply store.
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Gasoline gift cards to out-of-town patients
- Riders Club monies to local patients
- Monies are not available for hospital or medical bills, physician's services, dialysis treatment costs or transplantation surgery. These expenses are usually covered by health insurance and/or governmental programs.
- Patients must be followed by a nephrologist and/or endocrinologist in the local community.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need on the patient application. Patient must be below 250 percent of the current poverty level to be approved, based upon dependents. Proof of financial need is required, such as a 1040 tax form.
- Local community defined as residing in any of the following counties: Buchanan, Delaware, Jones, Cedar, Johnson, Iowa, Benton, and Linn.
- Patients must be alive at the time that the grant is issued. Financial assistance related to expenses or expenditures incurred prior to death will not be considered.