Advanced surgical care has been a part of Blank Children's Hospital for many years. Our pediatric surgeons perform surgeries in a state-of-the-art surgery center, located at Iowa Methodist Medical Center and Blank Children's Hospital. This is a surgery "Center of Excellence" and features a dedicated pediatric surgery area.
What to Expect When You're Having Surgery
Take a tour of the surgery center with Macy. She explains the process and what you can expect when you come in for your outpatient procedure.
If you have questions or would like additional information after watching the video, please contact our Child Life team. You can reach Child Life by calling 515-418-8658. Please leave a message if no one answers. They will return your call within 24 hours unless it's the weekend.
The surgery center offers:
- Separation of adult and pediatric patients, acute and non-acute patients.
- Dedicated pediatric pre-operative area which allows for parents to stay with their children until they are taken into surgery.
- Patient and family amenities - a dedicated pediatric surgery waiting area separate from the adult waiting area.
- Enhanced patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Child Life staff to help prepare children for what to expect before, during and after the surgery process.
- On-site cafe for convenience of family members waiting for their loved ones.
- Elevator with direct access to the cafeteria for meals.
- Pagers to alert family members when their child is out of surgery.