How often and how long should my baby eat during the day and night?
- Baby should eat whenever baby acts hungry. Usually 1-3 hours from start of last feeding.
- Wake baby to feed if baby sleeping 3 hours from last feeding in day or 4 hours at night.
- Baby should nurse at least 8-12 times or more every 24 hours (after first 24 hours of life).
- Nurse baby 10-15 minutes on each breast. Nurse both breasts at each feeding.
- Baby may nurse again if baby is still hungry.
- Babies often cluster feed at night (or day). They may want to eat every hour for 3-4 hours in a row. This is normal for the first 2-3 weeks. This helps mother build a better milk supply sooner and baby gets more milk.
- Nap in the day when baby is sleeping.
Please call Allen Hospital's Lactation Consultant with questions at (319) 235-3620.