About This ClinicPrint
Worried about birth control or STDs? Think you can't afford to deal with it? Allen Women's Health can help you with family health services including birth control and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Visit our frequently asked questions page to learn more.
No insurance? No problem.
No one is turned away for inability to pay. Allen Women's Health is a Title X-Family Planning and Title V-Maternal Health funded delegate of the Iowa Department of Public Health (supported in part by Title X contract #5882MH24). For answers to your health questions, please contact us at (319) 235-5090.
With caring and confidential help from AWH, you receive the support you need to make positive health decisions for things such as:
*Some restrictions apply. Not all will qualify.
We offer four different kinds of long-term, implantable birth control for women:
- Paragard is inserted into your uterus and is effective for up to 10 years
- Mirena is inserted into your uterus and is effective for up to five years
- Kyleena is inserted into your uterus and is effective for up to five years
- Nexplanon is inserted into your arm and is effective for up to three years
- Skyla IUD is inserted into your uterus and is effective for up to three years
Benefits of long-term birth control include:
- Birth control you hardly ever have to think about
- Birth control that's proven at least 99% effective in preventing pregnancy
- Reversible birth control that can be removed at any time. This means if you change your mind, you can choose to try to get pregnant when you want
- Discreet birth control that usually can't be seen or even felt
- Birth control with minimal side effects
- Simple, worry-free birth control that helps you control your life
Other Birth Control Options
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are so common that more than half of all sexually active adults will have become infected by the age of 25. STDs can be serious illnesses that do not go away unless they are treated.
Many people who have a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in their body don't know they're infected. There is no single test that can check for every STD, but we'll help you decide if you should be tested; when you should be tested; what type of tests you may need to have; and how much (if anything) the test will cost. STD testing for everyone, including teens, is confidential.
Most STDs can be treated with antibiotics. Don't let fear, embarrassment or lack of insurance keep you from getting diagnosed and treated. Stop worrying, and get confidential help from Allen Women's Health.
We offer testing and treatment for illnesses including:
To schedule your STD test, call (319) 235-5090.
The Gardasil vaccine is available and effective for males and females ages 9-27. It helps protect against nine types of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) that cause genital warts, cervical cancer, vaginal/vulvar cancers, and anal cancer. For additional information please see Gardasil.com.
Maternal Health Enhanced Services
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Presumptive Medicaid determination (immediate coverage for medical expenses)
- Prenatal education with a registered nurse
- Assistance with scheduling an appointment at prenatal care provider of choice
- Dental assessment, fluoride varnish and referral to a dentist
- Transportation to medical appointments
- Interpretation services
- Depression screening and referral for mental health counseling, if indicated
- Referral to community resources including parenting support
- WIC services on-site
- Help to reduce or quit smoking
- Individual childbirth or breastfeeding classes
You may be eligible for Title 19 even if you currently have private insurance. If you have private insurance, Title 19 pays other expenses that your private insurance may not cover. Staff at Allen Women's Health is available to answer any questions or assist in filling out the required paperwork.
If your family's GROSS monthly income (before taxes) is less than the amounts listed in the Federal Poverty guidelines, you may be eligible. (Current pregnancy is counted as a family member.)
Safe Zone trained providers
Allen Women's Health offers health care services in a comfortable and welcoming environment to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning communities. Safe Zone trained providers will ensure compassion and understanding for all patients.
Your privacy is important to us. We don't want you to avoid scheduling a visit because you're worried about someone finding out. Even if you're under 18, you can still trust us to help you confidentially.
The information you give your healthcare providers and the details of your visit are completely confidential. This means we won't tell anyone anything-unless there's an emergency.
Together For Youth
Celebrating over 30 years of Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention & Parenting Partnerships Together For Youth (TFY), located in Waterloo, IA is your area's adolescent pregnancy prevention and teen parent support network. TFY strives to provide information and resources for teens, parents and professionals in the Cedar Valley. Our partnerships with community agencies have resulted in a significant decline in Black Hawk County teen birth rates in recent years. Our community team is dedicated to empowering young people to make informed decisions about their sexual health.
Learn more about the programs and resources made possible by Together for Youth.