#EatWellLiveWell: Hearty Roasted Root Vegetables
Root vegetables, like carrots, rutabagas and parsnips, are often overlooked. These veggies are chock full of health benefits, and this simple recipe makes them easy to pair with any dinner.
- Fantastic Fiber. Parsnips are low in calories and high in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps you to feel full for longer and helps keep you regular. Soluble fiber may also help regulate blood sugar and reduce cholesterol.
- Folate for Healthy Babies. Parsnips are a good source of the vitamin folate, which is crucial in the proper development of the neural tube during pregnancy.
- Fights high blood pressure and heart disease. As a great source of potassium, parsnips may help to regulate blood pressure and reduce overall stress on the heart.
Recipe: Hearty Roasted Root Vegetables
- Five pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 2x1/2 inch pieces
- Five pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into 2x1/2 inch pieces
- Five pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 2x1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dried basil
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place the rutabaga in a pan and cover with water. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until tender and easily pierced with a fork, about five minutes. Drain well and cool completely. Repeat steps to cook the parsnips and carrots.
- Place completely cooled vegetables in resealable freezer bags. Refrigerate for one to two days, or freeze up to one month. To thaw the vegetables, refrigerate overnight and drain.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Pour the vegetable oil into a rimmed baking dish. Place the vegetables into a large mixing bowl and toss with the basil, salt and pepper. Place the pan in preheated oven to heat for five minutes. Add the vegetables and toss to coat with the oil.
- Roast vegetables in preheated oven, turning every 10 minutes, until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
34 calories, 1.9g of total fat, 46 mg of cholesterol, 232 mg of sodium, 1.9g of protein, and 2.5g of carbohydrates.
Get great, healthy recipes sent directly to you each month by signing up for our LiveWell with UnityPoint Health email updates!
Sign-Up for LiveWell with UnityPoint Health Email Updates