Is your well-being and the health of your heart important to you? How well and efficient are you able to perform your daily tasks? How is your current energy level and well-being? This article details “an action step” to help you and your family, or co-workers move one step closer to reaching your answers to the questions above to be the best you that you can be for life!
February is American Heart Month, so this month we’re going to discuss one of the best benefits for your whole heart: functional circuit training. Your heart is a muscle so the combination of cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility activities with changing intensity allows for a fun, efficient, challenging, and highly effective method for improving your overall well-being, while reducing your risks for heart disease. The great news is that up to 82% of heart disease is preventable by taking small action steps daily to improve your well-being!
Functional Circuit Training combines cardiovascular conditioning (heart and lung endurance), functional strength training, balance activities, and flexibility/stretching exercises in an intense and encouraging atmosphere. This training incorporates a full spectrum for your whole body that is designed to elicit the optimum adaptive response appropriate for the work, activity, or the sport being trained for. Functional circuits use movement patterns that have multiple planes of motion such as:
- Sagittal plane—front to back movement patterns
- Frontal plane—side to side
- Transverse plane—rotational movement patterns that use multiple joints and simulate whole body functional activities and patterns
All of these movement patterns go through the core which is the crossroads of function for your entire body that includes the hips, lower back, and abdominal muscles. A strong, stable core, with controlled flexibility is essential for a fully functioning core for quality and injury-free movement. Leaders of these classes are always thinking of training movements and functional movement patterns that we do in our work, home, play, sport, and everyday life with tweakology (changing intensity, tools/equipment used, varied planes and ranges of motion, time, and more).
Benefits of Functional Circuit Training for Your Whole Heart
- Improve your energy level
- Best method to lose weight and maintain this weight loss
- Lose inches of fat at your waist (most important area to lose inches of fat to prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, diabetes, and cancers), hips, thighs, chest, arms, face and whole body.
- Improve your self-esteem and your daily attitude
- Reduce fracture risks as you age and prevent osteoporosis by building stronger bones
- Reduce MSD injury risks at work, home, or play
- Improve your quality of sleep
- For every pound of muscle you gain, your body’s internal engine or metabolism increases to burn extra calories/day. This is a reason why eating a good source of lean protein at each meal is so important to help you build muscle, as protein is a building block for your muscles.
- Improve and lower your blood pressure, cholesterol levels (LDL, triglycerides) and raise your HDL good cholesterol (under the direction of your doctor) which reduces your risks of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancers.
- Significantly improve your well-being and vitality to your whole body so you can be the best you can be!
Guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life!