Breathe a Sigh of Relief with Respiratory Therapy
Breathing problems affect millions of people each day and are caused by a wide range of short- and long-term conditions. From asthma to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), difficulty breathing can hinder your ability to enjoy and participate in daily life activities. If you or a loved one is having trouble managing a chronic lung condition or other respiratory issue, it may be time to talk with your doctor about the benefits of respiratory therapy.
What is Respiratory Therapy?
Respiratory therapy is a special type of treatment that provides therapeutic and diagnostic services to patients with breathing problems. Respiratory services are provided by a team of specially trained respiratory therapists under the direction of a medical doctor.
UnityPoint at Home offers a comprehensive approach to respiratory therapy. From evaluation, to management and care, our dedicated team of respiratory therapists works to provide temporary symptom relief. With the goal of helping you breathe easier, the respiratory therapists at UnityPoint at Home are trained to treat patients ranging from premature babies to older adults with chronic lung diseases, all from the comfort of home. Our team partners with you, your doctor and your family to create a treatment plan that helps you manage your condition, increase productivity and regain independence.
Conditions Treated by Respiratory Therapy
Respiratory therapy is available to a wide range of patients who are suffering from breathing problems. Conditions that can benefit from respiratory therapy include, but are not limited to:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Infants with under-developed lungs
- Sleep apnea
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lung Cancer
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
Therapeutic Services and Equipment Offered
Respiratory services from UnityPoint at Home provide temporary relief to patients with chronic lung conditions, as well as emergency care. Services and at-home medical equipment provided by our respiratory therapists include:
- Home Oxygen Therapy including equipment training and education to get the most from your oxygen treatment.
- Airway Management to ensure there is an adequate pathway to the lungs and to prevent the risk of aspiration.
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) and BiLevel Positive Airway Pressure (BIPAP) to assist patients with sleep apnea by applying air pressure to keep airways open.
- Pulse Oximetry to monitor oxygenation.
- Apnea Monitors to track heartbeat and breathing and to alert attendant of problems to avoid respiratory failure.
- Ventilators to support breathing until able to breathe on your own.
- Nebulizers to administer medication in the form of a mist to reach the lungs more efficiently.
- Suction Equipment/Supplies to remove mucus and other secretions from the airway.
- Tracheostomy Supplies/Air Compressors to support a surgical tracheostomy.
In addition to these services, respiratory therapists work to educate you and your loved ones on your condition and how to best control the symptoms from home with proper medical equipment. The UnityPoint at Home team will also work to relieve the physical and emotional stress associated with the disease and to increase independence and mobility as your breathing improves.
Breathe Easy with UnityPoint at Home
As the trusted provider of respiratory therapy across Iowa and Illinois, our experienced team of respiratory therapists works closely with physicians and nurses to develop a plan of care that will help you achieve optimal health – all from the comfort of your home. Learn how our respiratory therapy services can help you breathe easy again.