#EatWellLiveWell: Corn and Pepper Zest
Corn has long been a staple whose diversity in the kitchen rivals that of basic ingredients like flour or sugar. But does this long-eared vegetable have anything going for it besides its abundance?
Yellow, blue, red, pink, black and purple; corn varieties come in almost all of the colors of the rainbow. Each fantastic kernel coloration has its own powerful nutritional value, although everything on our list can be found in every ear of corn, no matter the hue. Take a look at the wonderful world of corn and its benefits.
- Antioxidant Packed. Although different varieties of corn have different combinations of antioxidants, the phytonutrients among all corn varieties help reduce a multitude of health risk factors. Lowering blood pressure, lowering risk for heart disease, and even reducing the risk of free radical damage to your skin are all ways corn works hard for your body.
- Boosting Digestive Health. Corn’s natural fiber content is astronomical, and we all know high fiber diets facilitate a healthy digestive system.
- Regulates s Blood Sugar Levels. The complex B vitamins in corn allow your body to regulate its natural blood sugar levels. Working with the fiber mentioned above, the natural proteins in corn also allow for healthy hearts and veins.
- Vitamin Rich. Stuffed with the mineral manganese, corn acts as a facilitator to the absorption of natural minerals and nutrients. Manganese is required for the healthy growth of bone and cartilage, so keeping corn in your diet helps keep your bones and joints strong. Also, manganese promotes healthy collagen structures to keep your skin young!
With these many benefits, it’s no wonder why corn has been a culinary staple for so long. To utilize this superfood, check out our recipe for corn relish below.
Recipe: Corn & Pepper Zest
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the corn, green bell peppers, onion, sweet pickle relish, celery seed, salt, dry mustard, vinegar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to sterile jars and refrigerate until serving.
17 calories, .1 g total fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 19 g sodium, 4.1 g total carbs, .3 g protein
Do you want to discover more delicious and nutritious meal options? Sign up for our free LiveWell with UnityPoint Health email updates today!
Sign-Up for LiveWell with UnityPoint Health Email Updates