It’s that time of year again: Grandparents Day! This year’s theme is “Do Something Grand”. On this day, you want to stay active with your family, especially your grandchildren. But what if you have a medical condition that makes it difficult to be active? Make sure you stay in “grand” form on this special day. Home Medical Equipment from UnityPoint at Home can help you take control of your health so you can keep up with your family!
At the Playground
Depending on the age of your grandchildren, they may want to celebrate Grandparents Day with a trip to the playground. While they will enjoy running about and climbing up and down, it can be hard to keep up with their level of activity if you suffer from respiratory issues.
UnityPoint at Home offers a wide variety of breathing equipment and home oxygen therapy options that can make a day at the playground easier for you and more fun for your grandkids. We offer a wide selection of oxygen tanks and devices, including ones that are smaller and more lightweight for activities outside of the home.
A Walk in the Park
If it’s a beautiful day, you might want to to spend it outside with your grandkids, and go for a walk in the park. If you have mobility issues, it can be much more difficult to enjoy a casual stroll. However, equipment and devices offered by the UnityPoint at Home Medical Equipment Stores can keep you on the go with your family.
UnityPoint at Home offers standard wheelchairs and scooters, as well as more equipped models with the following features:
- A lightweight design
- Power Drive
- Reclining abilities
- Seating accessories and cushions
- Custom-fitted contour seating
- And motorized electric scooters
If your mobility issues do not require the use of a wheelchair or scooter, but you still need assistance when it comes to walking; the Home Medical Equipment store offers several different styles of canes and walkers to provide stability and balance to help you keeping moving.
In The Home
Having the grandkids over for a visit to mark your special day? It’s important to make sure your home can accommodate them safely. Toddlers especially tend to be very curious (and fast!). Take a few minutes to do a quick check of your home before they visit. Some things to consider:
- Cords. Telephone and electrical cords can be fall hazards, especially for little ones who are running about and not paying attention. Make sure they are out of high traffic areas. If you use oxygen therapy, be mindful of your tubing and that small children can easily trip over it or become entangled.
- Television sets and furniture. Kids love to climb, and that includes dressers, TV stands and tables. A child is injured from furniture toppling over every 24 minutes, and a child dies every two weeks from falling furniture or televisions, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. If your grandchildren visit frequently, you may want to have dressers and other heavy furniture in your home anchored to the walls to prevent possible accidents. Visit www.anchorit.gov for more information.
- Electrical outlets. Keep small hands and fingers from exploring electrical outlets. Outlet covers are inexpensive and simple to install.
- Stairs. Little ones who haven’t quite mastered stairs need to be closely supervised. Consider buying a safety gate so that they can’t climb them. Encourage older grandchildren to use safety rails when going up or down the stairs.
The Home Medical Equipment store offers safety rails and other devices that not only keep you safe in your home, but can also protect your grandchildren when they visit.
If You Already Have Medical Equipment
Don’t postpone or cancel your Grandparents Day plans because your medical equipment is in need of repair! UnityPoint at Home has dedicated service technicians who provide 24-hour emergency assistance, repair and maintenance on all equipment. Our expert, professional staff provide product education and equipment follow-up to make sure you and your caregivers are comfortable with your equipment and how it works.
Find What You Need With UnityPoint at Home
Grandparents Day is a day to be “grand” and enjoy it with your family. Don’t let health issues stop you from having fun. No matter what you need, whether it is service, products or equipment, UnityPoint at Home can help. Visit the Home Medical Equipment store near you. Are you searching for something specific but aren’t able to find it? UnityPoint at Home can custom order any product or equipment you may require.