Trinity's Caring Canines Program
What is Trinity's Caring Canines Program?
Caring Canines is a Trinity program that uses specially trained and qualified dogs to provide an opportunity for patients to benefit from interaction. Studies have demonstrated that exposure to therapy dogs can relieve stress, lower blood pressure and relieve depression.
Volunteer owners bring their dogs to Trinity to give patients an opportunity to pet them, brush them and enjoy their company. If the dog is small enough patients can, with permission, hold them in their laps or pet the dog when carefully placed on the bed.
Want to become a Caring Canines Volunteer?
The Trinity Volunteer Services department interviews and screens each Caring Canine candidate and owner for the following:
Your dog MUST:
- Be at least one year old, domesticated, obedient, trained and housebroken.
- Have written proof that it has received a certification of completion in a 6-week obedience training program.
- Have proof from your Doctor of Veterinary Medicine for yearly "well pet" visit, current vaccination records and yearly negative fecal exam.
- Have received initial certification from one of our Therapy Dogs, Inc. observers/testers with annual renewal required.
- All Caring Canine teams must be certified or registered through a Therapy Group such as Therapy Dogs, Inc.,
- Be clean and well groomed.
- Any other requirements set by the hospital.
Dog Owner/Handler MUST:
- Interview and be accepted by Trinity's Volunteer Department.
- Complete Trinity's Volunteer Orientation, receive a TB test and pass a background check.
- Provide proper documentation and certification that all canine requirements are met.
- Copy of the Caring Canine Team's Proof of Liability Insurance (provided through the therapy organization team is registered through; if not provided by the organization, a copy must be provided through owner).
- Agree to participate in annual re-orientation for active volunteers.
- Commit to at least two visits to the hospital per month.
Ready to start the process to become a Trinity Caring Canines team?
Click here to download the application and fill it out. Return completed application to us by either:
Mailing to our office (2701 17th Street, Rock Island, IL 61201)
E-mail application to us at TQCVolunteers@unitypoint.org
Have questions about Trinity's Caring Canines Program? Call us at (309) 779-2211.