Child & Adolescent Services
I-Smile and Dental Care Coordination
The Trinity Muscatine Public Health dental hygienist serves as the I-Smile Coordinator. She works to improve the dental support systems for Cedar, Louisa and Muscatine County families. She is a resource for health care providers, schools, and dental offices. These services are funded by Early Childhood Iowa and the Iowa Department of Public Health.
I-Smile Coordinator works to improve dental access for children and families by:
- Connecting families to dentists
- The I-Smile Coordinator will help families find dentists that are taking new patients and accept Iowa Medicaid coverage
- Informing families about the benefits of regular dental care
- Arranging dental visits and making referrals
- Coordinating dental care for families
- Make sure dental treatment needs are met
- I-Smile services are available to any child who needs help accessing dental care
- Assistance in accessing dental insurance
Children need regular dental care beginning at a very young age. Healthy teeth help children talk, eat, nourish their bodies, and build confidence. Teeth begin to erupt at around six (6) months of age. To make sure teeth stay healthy, children should start seeing a dentist as soon as the first tooth erupts or by age one (1).