Summer Extern Program for Student Nurses
Transitioning from the classroom to a career can be challenging. You can get a head start on your nursing career by taking advantage of this unique opportunity. Earn as you learn at Meriter Hospital during our summer program
- May 20, 2019 – July 26, 2019
- You will be assigned to work Day, PM, or Night shift including every other weekend.
The Meriter Advantage
From May to the end of July, you will work in our caring, nurturing environment under the guidance of an experienced registered nurse in one of our Patient Care areas. Our Student Nurse Extern Program will allow you to observe, firsthand, the dynamics of collaborative nursing practice and to begin the transition of student to professional nurse at Meriter.
Orientation classes will supplement your hands-on clinical experiences. Clinical opportunities will be offered in the Birthing Center, IMCU, Heart and Vascular Center, Medical/Surgical, Nursing Resource Pool, Emergency Services and Perioperative Services. These departments will provide a fast-paced work environment, and the experience provided will develop critical thinking skills, teamwork and collaborative skills with solid patient care experiences.
How to Apply
Please complete the entire add-on form at the bottom of this page and save it to your computer.
Once you have completed this form you are then ready to submit your online application for the Nurse Extern Program on the UnityPoint Health - Meriter Careers page. Upload your completed add-on form, resume and unofficial official transcripts into your online application prior to submitting. It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that all required application material is included in the online application and received by the deadline, January 31, 2019.
Completed application material includes:
- Online Application completed at UnityPoint Health - Meriter Careers Page, add the job to your Job Cart and complete the application form as directed.
- Resume (uploaded into online application)
- Add-on Application Form completed (uploaded into online application)
- Unofficial Transcripts (uploaded into online application)
January 31, 2019 (we will not consider incomplete applications or those submitted after the deadline).
The Student Nurse Extern Program is open to any nursing student who:
- Will have senior status in a bachelors of nursing program for the fall semester of 2019
- Anticipates graduating in December 2019 or May 2020
- Has completed at least one acute care clinical
- Is certified in Health Care Provider BLS through July 2019
- Is a student in good standing at an accredited school of nursing
Nurse Extern Add-On Form