A Message to Our Community
We recently learned that the legal process is moving forward regarding our Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU), as criminal charges have now been filed in the case. We have supported the legal process throughout this investigation. There is no doubt that as an organization, we all remain devastated by what happened.
We know this has been a difficult journey for our patients, their families, our employees who serve them and our community. As an organization, we will work diligently to earn back your trust. We want you to know how serious we take this situation, and we have taken a number of steps intended to assure the highest level of safety, including:
- immediately removing a NICU employee from service
- notifying law enforcement and appropriate regulatory authorities and fully cooperating throughout the process
- implementing 24/7 video monitoring in NICU patient rooms and care areas to provide an added layer of observation for our smallest patients
- establishing a Patient Care Line to address any questions or concerns regarding care in our NICU
- reviewing and updating policies and procedures for the detection and reporting of abuse, neglect and caregiver misconduct
- requiring additional education for all patient care staff and conducting ongoing audits
- using tracking tools and workflows to more closely monitor patient trends
- working with our regulators to address their concerns
Meriter has been a proud part of our community for more than a century and cares for more newborns than any other hospital in Wisconsin. Our doctors, nurses and entire staff are honored to care for the people we serve. While we are deeply saddened by these recent events, we are determined to learn from them, regain your confidence and serve our patients for generations to come.