Have you heard of chia (pronounced chee-ah) seeds? Yes, those cha-cha-chia! While you may think of them as the fun Chia Pets, they are also an edible and nutritious seed! Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are an essential type of fat for proper cellular development and function.
The human body cannot make omega-3 fatty acids, so we need to get them from food sources like fish, walnuts, flax seeds and chia seeds! Chia seeds also offer protein and several minerals, like iron, calcium and magnesium.
In many vegan baking recipes, chia seeds are used to replace an egg by combining one tablespoon chia seeds with three tablespoons water. This recipe uses this amazing property of chia seeds to make chocolate pudding! Using low-fat milk gives this pudding its creamy base, while increasing the calcium content of this healthy pudding.
Cocoa powder and sugar create the rich, chocolatey profile for this dessert, and the instant coffee (optional) makes that flavor POP. Try making this dessert with your family to experience the amazing, gelling-properties of chia seeds together… and enjoy a healthy dessert.
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 8 hour 30 minute
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee granules (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tiny pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips, or to taste
- Whisk milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, brown sugar, white sugar, coffee granules, vanilla extract and salt together in a bowl until pudding is smooth. Let sit for 5 minutes; stir. Repeat sitting and stirring process at least 2 times.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight. Spoon into bowls and top with chocolate hemp seeds.
276 Calories, 10g Protein, 11.7g Fat, 38.5g Carbohydrates, 12g Fiber, 260mg Sodium
comments powered by