February is American Heart Healthy Month, a time to reflect on how you are caring for your heart as well as overall health.
Heart disease is unfortunately one of the leading causes of death in Americans but is preventable with some changes to your lifestyle.
Here are some tips and a recipe to try to help you to stay healthy:
- Use spices, dry and fresh to season foods instead of salt.
- Make sure to schedule physical activity into your day.
- Try to make it something you enjoy, so you will be more likely to stick with it!
- Any movement is better than nothing!
- Monitor your weight; try to stay in a healthy zone for you.
- Quit smoking and drink alcoholic drinks in moderation.
- Check and control your cholesterol and blood pressure regularly.
- Fill your plate with more vegetables and satisfy a sweet tooth with fruit.
The following recipe is fantastic for taco seasoning; this would substitute the packet of seasoning that is purchased in the store. The store bought seasoning has lots of hidden sodium and sugars. The amounts can be adjusted to your personal flavor profile; it is a very forgiving recipe.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 tbsp chili powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp paprika
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients and adjust as necessary. Cook with chicken or lean beef for tacos or any other dish.
comments powered by