Earth Day is this Friday, April 22, so let’s celebrate with beautiful greens! Kale, lemon, garlic and currants combine to make a plant-based nutrition powerhouse! Each ingredient of this salad provides vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, the natural plant-version of antioxidants. Add feta to pack an extra flavor-kick, and you have a salad that anyone could love. Try it in honor of Earth Day!
Fresh Quinoa and Kale Salad
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Ready in: 55 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 10 leaves kale, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 cup pecans, whole or halves
- 1 cup currants
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bring water to a boil in a sauce pan. Stir quinoa into the boiling water, reduce heat to medium-low, place cover on the saucepan, and cook until water absorbs into the quinoa, about 12 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let rest covered for five minutes. Remove cover and allow quinoa to cool completely.
- Put kale in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, pepper and salt together in a bowl until oil emulsifies into the mixture; drizzle over kale.
- Add cooled quinoa, pecans, currants and feta cheese to the dressed kale and toss to combine.
417 calories, 24.5 grams of fat, 43.5 grams of carbohydrates, 10.8 grams of protein, 17 mg of cholesterol, and 430 mg of sodium.
Sign-Up for LiveWell with UnityPoint Health Email Updates
comments powered by