A healthy and hearty side dish to any meal, this kale salad looks like a rainbow and tastes just as amazing. Kale, a very popular leafy green, is a great source of vitamins A, K and C, as well as manganese, potassium and calcium. Kale and the other vegetables in this dish provide a large amount of fiber. Fiber is important for digestive health and can help to reduce cholesterol, regulate blood sugar and manage weight! The lemon juice and red peppers also offer a large amount of vitamin C, and red cabbage is a great source of vitamin C and potassium. Wild rice is a whole grain that provides protein, fiber, folate, vitamin B6 and other vitamins and minerals. As an additional benefit, all of these different colored vegetables deliver antioxidants. Needless to say, this is a powerful salad!
Fresh Kale Salad
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Ready in: 1 hour
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 cups sliced red cabbage
- 2 large red bell peppers - seeded, cored and chopped
- 2 bunches kale, leaves stripped from stems and torn into pieces
- ¼ lemon, juiced or to taste
- Whisk ½ cup lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper together in a large bowl until dressing is smooth.
- Bring water, wild rice and butter to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain excess liquid and cook uncovered until water evaporates completely, about five minutes more. Stir rice and let cool slightly.
- Combine cabbage and red bell peppers in the bowl with dressing; toss to evenly coat.
- Place kale on top of the cabbage mixture and spoon warm wild rice over kale; let sit until kale is slightly wilted, five to 10 minutes.
- Toss until salad is evenly mixed, adding more lemon juice to taste.
175 Calories, 28g Carbohydrate, 6 g Protein, 6g Fat, 4g Dietary Fiber, 354mg Potassium, 30mg Sodium and 93% DV Vitamin C
Sign-Up for LiveWell with UnityPoint Health Email Updates
comments powered by