UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Updates Visitor Limitations September 1
(GRINNELL, Iowa – August 31, 2021)
- Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC) is restricting visitors to keep patients, team member and our communities safe and healthy. Effective Wednesday, September 1, 2021, all UnityPoint Health – Grinnell patients can have one visitor, per day.
There are times when having an additional visitor or caregiver present is crucial to the care of the patient. In these cases, an additional visitor will be allowed based on the following exceptions:
- Patient is a minor, 17 years of age or younger. Two visitors are allowed in the patient’s room/may accompany the patient’s visit.
- Maternity services (labor, delivery and postpartum). One visitor is allowed. One designated birth coach/doula is also allowed during the birthing process.
- All end-of-life situations. The one visitor limit can be reviewed by the care team.
In all cases, a visitor will only be allowed if they are free from illness (such as fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose). Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
- Must be free of any signs of illness
- Must wear a mask, covering the nose and mouth, in all areas of the facility, regardless of vaccination status
- Should be 16 years of age or older
- Must remain in the patient room, as appropriate
- Must limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas, including the cafeteria (Inpatient guest trays can be purchased from the cafeteria for $6)
- Are encouraged to wash their hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting a patient’s room
- Must follow additional PPE instruction, if requested by a team member
- Will be asked to leave if they are not willing to comply with these requests
UnityPoint Health strongly encourages everyone 12 and up to get vaccinated as soon as possible, to better protect themselves, their families and their communities. To find a vaccination site near you, visit www.vaccines.gov
and visit our UnityPoint Health Resources Page
for information on COVID-19.
Visitor restrictions at GRMC were initially put in place on March 11, 2020, in response to the global outbreak of COVID-19. The intent of the visitor restrictions is to keep patients, team members and GRMC communities safe by decreasing traffic into and out of the hospital and clinics.
Masks are required at GRMC and all UnityPoint Health – Grinnell locations where patient care is provided, regardless of vaccination status.