UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Lessens Visitor Limitations
Grinnell, IA – April 21, 2021
– UnityPoint Health®
- Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC) further updated visitor guidelines on Wednesday, April 21, expanding the previous one visitor per patient stance to include patients that are positive for or suspected to have COVID-19
The visitor restrictions were initially put in place on March 11, 2020, in response to the global outbreak of COVID-19. The intent of the visitor restrictions is to keep patients, team members and GRMC communities safe by decreasing traffic into and out of the hospital and clinics.
While meeting the health care needs of patients, UnityPoint Health – Grinnell remains committed to keeping patients, team members and communities safe. Families are encouraged to designate just one visitor per patient, for the duration of the patient’s appointment or stay.
All visitors and caregivers:
Limited exceptions to the one visitor per patient guideline apply, including:
- Must be free of any signs of illness
- Must wear a mask, covering the nose and mouth, in all common areas of the facility and whenever asked by the care team
- Should be 16 years of age or older
- Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) are encouraged not to visit
- Must remain in the patient room, as appropriate
- Must limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas, including the cafeteria (Inpatient guest trays can be purchased from the cafeteria for $6)
- Are encouraged to wash their hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting a patient’s room
- Must follow additional PPE instruction, if requested by a team member
- Will be asked to leave if they are not willing to comply with these requests
- If a patient is a minor, 17 years of age or younger, two primary caregivers are allowed in the patient’s room/may accompany the patient’s visit
Caregivers and visitors are asked to practice social distancing any time they are in a shared waiting room or public space of the hospital or clinics.
For more information about visitor restrictions or seeking safe care, visit unitypoint.org/Grinnell