UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Adjusts Visitor Limitations
Grinnell, IA – May 27, 2021
– UnityPoint Health®
- Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC) further updated visitor guidelines on Tuesday, May 25, expanding the previous one visitor for any patient stance to allow for two visitors per patient
Visitor restrictions at GRMC were initially put in place on March 11, 2020, in response to the global outbreak of COVID-19. The intent of the visitor restrictions is to keep patients, team members and GRMC communities safe by decreasing traffic into and out of the hospital and clinics.
While meeting the health care needs of patients, UnityPoint Health – Grinnell remains committed to keeping patients, team members and communities safe. Though the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have issued updated masking guidance for fully vaccinated persons
in non-health care spaces, masks are still required in all UnityPoint Health facilities where patient care is provided, including hospitals and clinics.
All visitors and designated caregivers
Limited exceptions to the two visitors per patient guideline apply, including:
- Must be free of any signs of illness
- Must wear a mask, covering the nose and mouth, in all common areas of the facility and whenever asked by the care team
- Should be 16 years of age or older
- Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) are encouraged not to visit
- Must remain in the patient room, as appropriate
- Must limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas, including the cafeteria (Inpatient guest trays can be purchased from the cafeteria for $6)
- Are encouraged to wash their hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting a patient’s room
- Must follow additional PPE instruction, if requested by a team member
- Will be asked to leave if they are not willing to comply with these requests
- If a patient is a minor, 17 years of age or younger, two designated caregivers are allowed in the patient’s room/may accompany the patient’s visit
- Designated caregivers are not counted as visitors
Caregivers and visitors are asked to practice social distancing any time they are in a shared waiting room or public space of the hospital or clinics. Masks are still required at GRMC and the UnityPoint Health – Grinnell clinics where patient care is provided.
For more information about visitor restrictions or seeking safe care, visit unitypoint.org/Grinnell