LGBTQ Health Care in Central Iowa
Serving the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer community (LGBTQ)
UnityPoint Health desires to meet the specific health care needs of the LGBTQ community in Central Iowa by providing a safe and affirming environment and overcome the stigma and discrimination that persons in the LGBTQ community often face.
Dedicated Health Services for the LGBTQ Community
Our staff at UnityPoint Clinic LGBTQ - Methodist Plaza have undergone Safe Zone Training through One Iowa to ensure you receive your care in a welcoming environment with a team who strives to deliver quality affirming care with dignity and sensitivity to all our patients. We offer dedicated health services in a comfortable, caring environment to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, gender non-conforming, genderqueer, gender fluid, and anyone who identifies as part of the LGBTQ communities.
For an appointment, please call (515) 241-7397 or request an appointment online.
LGBTQ Clinic Services
- Physical and Wellness Care
- Routine Cancer Screenings
- Health prevention
- HIV/STD/STI testing and counseling
- Management of chronic diseases, including anxiety and depression
- Mental Health Assessment
- Gynecological services
- Trans-affirming gynecological care
- On-site lab
- Provision of PEP (Post-exposure prophylaxis) for a patient at risk for HIV
- Provision of PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) for a patient at risk for HIV
- Hormone therapy, including education and management
- Pre-surgical and post-surgical care for those having gender affirming surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery including laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Pharmacist on-site
- Trans-sensitive pap smears, pelvic exams, and prostate exams
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary clinical care for transgender adults
Why We Provide Inclusive Care
Our LGBTQ team is among the best in the Des Moines area and includes a team of doctors with expertise in LGBTQ primary care with board certifications in obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine and pediatrics.
Finding a LGBTQ friendly doctor is important. The team at UnityPoint Clinic LGBTQ - Methodist Plaza saw a need for health care for the LGBTQ population within the Des Moines metro and put together a steering committee with several other subject matter experts to build an evening clinic that serves the under-served.
Each of the doctors has a personal tie or desire to work within the LGBTQ clinic. Having a passion for the clinic also applies to each person you will see within the clinic, from the receptionist to the nurse who rooms you, to any person you interact with, the team at the LGBTQ clinic want to be there for you. Our team wants to ensure you have the experience you've been looking for. We want to make sure you know you're the most important person in the room.
Doctors at UnityPoint Clinic - LGBTQ
National LGBTQ Resources:
Central Iowa Resources:
- GLBT National Youth Talkline
Toll-free: 1-800-246-PRIDE (800-246-7743)
M-F, 3-11 p.m.; Sat 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault
Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline
- The Trevor Project
TrevorLifeline 866-488-7386 (24/7/365)
TrevorChat online instant messaging (7 days)
TrevorText, text "trevor" to 202-304-1200 (M-F)