Pediatric Behavioral Health Services
Children face many obstacles while trying to grow and find their identity. The challenge facing parents and children as they cope with these issues can often lead to conflict in everyday life. At Iowa Lutheran, we strive to provide the highest level of care for each patient. We work to identify and understand the problems your child is having and then put together a plan for your child and family to help start the road to a healthy life.
Children and adolescents may experience:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Behavioral problems
- Problems in school
- Poor self-esteem
- Sexual identity issues
- Family conflict
- Defiant behaviors
- Poor impulse control
Behavioral Health Services
Pediatric Behavioral Health Services at Iowa Lutheran Hospital, offers a continuum of care for children and adolescents ages 4 to 17 who experience problems at home, in school or in the community. Our Pediatric Behavioral Health team recognizes the need for various levels of care to meet the needs of children and adolescents in central Iowa.
Continuum of Care for Children and Adolescents
The appropriate level of care is determined individually through initial and ongoing assessments. Services are for children and adolescents ages 4-17.
- Assessment - Individuals may call (515) 263-5322 to schedule a comprehensive evaluation of mental health needs, including an adolescent's current mental health. Sessions last one hour and result in recommendations for the next step.
- Individualized Family Support - Staff provide individualized support and direction to assist parents with developing a behavioral management program to be utilized at home.
- Individual, Group and Family Therapy - Individual, group and family therapy helps the child, as well as their support system, learn about themselves and gain encouragement, perspectives and ideas from others facing similar issues. We offer a variety of specialized groups to meet the needs of our patients.
- Intensive Outpatient - Programming is tailored to meet the needs of each individual child or adolescent. Participants attend from one to three days per week for less than four hours per day. At this level of care, adolescents may build on recovery goals and identify and develop positive coping skills.
- Partial Hospitalization Program- The goals of the Partial program are to provide crisis intervention, assess needs, initiate education and provide structure in the child's environment.
- Visit UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Counseling & Psychiatry Clinic, Blank Children's Psychiatry Clinic or Blank Children's Psychological Services for additional pediatric behavioral health services.
Treatment Components consist of:
- Anger Management
- Communication and assertiveness
- Crisis Management
- Medication Management and compliance
- Self-esteem and assertiveness
- Individual and family support
Our Care Team
Iowa Lutheran's Pediatric Behavioral Health utilizes an interdisciplinary team approach to child and adolescent care and treatment. Our team consists of:
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Psychiatric Nurses
- Licensed Mental Health Therapists
- Behavioral Health Counselors
- Patient Care Techs
- Des Moines Public School Teachers
Consideration for Admissions
Please call (515) 263-5322 to schedule an assessment.
- Assessment performed by a qualified mental health provider
- Mental Health diagnosis
- Insurance approval/authorization