What to Expect
Preparation before treatment:
- Do not drink pop for one hour.
- Do not wear make-up, lotion, hair spray, deodorant, shaving lotion or petroleum based products.
- Remove jewelry and hearing aids. You may wear glasses or contacts.
- You will be given special cotton clothing to wear during treatment.
- You should arrive at the center 15-20 minutes before your treatment time.
What happens during a treatment?
You will be in a special chamber for the treatment. You will be able to change position, watch TV, listen to the radio, drink water or eat ice. You will be able to see and talk with the nurse at any time.
When treatment starts, you will hear a hissing sound as oxygen goes into the chamber. You will breathe 100% oxygen while you are in the chamber. You will feel warm for a few minutes at the start of treatment. You will feel cool at the end of treatment.
You may feel pressure or squeezing in your ears, sinuses or teeth. This is due to the change in air pressure. Some things you can do to prevent this are to flex your jaw by yawning, drink water, pinch your nose or swallow. Tell the nurse if you notice pain in your ears or other areas.
You may also have some vision changes after several treatments. Tell your nurse if this happens.