Coping with the Holidays After Loss
If you’ve lost a loved one this year, the holidays might seem like a daunting time. Do you feel yourself asking, “How do I cope with loss during the holidays?” If you’re struggling with loss of a loved one, UnityPoint Hospice shares 10 tips to help you cope and find some joy during the festive season.
- Realize that this year will be
different. Start having
conversations with family &
friends about what it will mean
to live through the holidays
without your loved one.
- Recognize that you can decide
what traditions you want to
continue and which ones are
- Start a new tradition that feels
right to you and your family.
- Give back to your community
by volunteering or participating
- Find ways to incorporate the
presence of your loved one. For
example, light a candle in their
honor at the table.
- Talk about your loved one by
sharing memories or stories.
- Know that you can participate in
the festivities as much or as little
as you feel capable.
- Identify people that you feel comfortable sharing with as
you may need their support
- Consider attending a support
group. It may be helpful to talk
with others that are redefining
the holiday season.
- Be patient with yourself. Grief
changes every aspect of our
lives, including the holidays. It
takes time to sort through all
of the changes and to find a
For more advice on how to cope with the loss of a loved one, visit our bereavement services page.