Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
What is Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation?
Physical medicine and rehabilitation is the diagnosis and treatment of ailments affecting nerves, muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones and the brain. Physical medicine and rehabilitation providers help patients restore physical function to the body through customized treatment and therapy plans - usually by physical means - to optimize function, recovery and management. Physical medicine and rehabilitation providers are different than other providers because they diagnose and treat the whole body, which is especially helpful for ailments such as back pain, which could cause foot and shoulder pain as well. Physical medicine and rehabilitation providers can pinpoint the cause of the pain and create a specific action plan based on your personal needs and goals.
What do Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Providers Do?
The physical medicine and rehabilitation providers at UnityPoint Clinic offer a broad spectrum of treatments, rehabilitation, therapy or combinations of these options depending on your customized goals. They also offer many nonsurgical services for physical impairment due to disease, disorders or injury, helping with pain relief and mobility.
Most Commonly Treated Injuries or Diseases
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic pain
- Carpal tunnel
- Muscular dystrophy
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson's disease
Most Common Therapy and Treatment Options
- Medications: Prescriptions like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) can be prescribed to help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Injections (Botox, steroid): Steroid injections are commonly used for joint pain and Botox injections can be used to help treat tight muscles (also known as spasticity) and migraine headaches.
- Heat and cold therapies: Relieve pain and reduce inflammation in people with arthritis or chronic pain.
- Therapeutic massage: Can be prescribed to patients with chronic pain, muscle spasms or headaches.
- Therapeutic exercise: Both traditional exercise and non-movement exercise can build and preserve muscles and protect joints from further damage.
- Physical therapy: Can strengthen muscles, increase range of motion and help control pain.
- Speech language therapies: Patients with speech impairment due to a disorder, stroke or injury may need speech therapy. Physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists work with patients to help them better understand articulation, as well as physical movements of the mouth and throat that aid in swallowing and word formation.
It is important to prevent and reduce pain, and possibly further damage, through early detection of these diseases and injuries. Progressive disorders like arthritis, if caught early, can be slowed down and cause less damage to the body.
Benefits of UnityPoint Clinic Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
The physical medicine and rehabilitation experts at UnityPoint Clinic have a thorough understanding of your body and are here for you at any stage of your recovery process.
Because there are many potential causes of one ailment, this specialist is essential in finding the cause of your pain. These providers have knowledge of many treatment options to create your specialized care plan and help you through the process of managing and restoring your body to maximize your overall quality of life.