#EatWellLiveWell: Vegetable Quiche With Cheese
by UnityPoint Clinic - January 8, 2016
Now that the holidays are over and the leftovers are gone, let’s talk about lighter fare…like quiche! This surprisingly hearty and nutritious quiche provides complete proteins with eggs and cheese, carbohydrates from the crust and fiber from the veggies! As an added bonus, make one quiche and your balanced lunches are prepped for a week! Give this vegetable and cheese quiche a try to wind down (or lighten up) after the holidays.
Vegetable Quiche With Cheese Recipe:
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ? teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- ½ (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- ½ (4 ounce) container crumbled feta cheese
- ½ (8 ounce) package shredded low-fat mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fit the pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Gently combine the spinach, mushrooms, onion and feta cheese in a separate bowl. Spread the mixture in the pie dish and top with half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the filling, swirling the egg mixture in a bowl to spread seasonings through the eggs. Top the quiche with the remaining cheese.
- Place quiche on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the quiche is lightly puffed and browned, approximately 45 to 50 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Cool for thirty minutes then enjoy!
334 calories, 21.4 grams of fat, 21 grams of carbs, 15.6 grams of protein, 152 mg of cholesterol, and 572 mg of sodium.
Sign-Up for LiveWell with UnityPoint Health Email Updates